Big in Japan

- Guano Apes, Big in Japan -

(A/N:
A cover of an 80's tune for you today.
I just love this sound for Obstruction.
I'm seeing them jumping around to this song on stage.
Also. Look it up on YouTube. There are some incredible bass, drums and acoustic covers of this.)

I was sat in the kitchen with my very own laptop. Oddball had gotten fed up with my lack of decent equipment and had fixed up an old one for me.
I had to type up a report on why I had chosen the culture and visual expression I had for the exhibition.
I suddenly understood Simon's procrastination talent.

The guys were coming around later to play with the recording gear.
The plan was to do a cover of 'Big in Japan', similar to Guano Apes' one. The goal was to find our own sound rather than just doing straight up covers.
I could see us heading for an energetic grungy rock.
Simon's bass-style and Ethan's way with rapid riffs was giving us an edge.
And as long as Oddball had the energy of a banshee on speed, we might even be able to stick it out for a two hour gig.

I felt my face break into a smile as the door opened and Ethan entered the kitchen. The guys were well past ringing the doorbell.
My ever growing farm of butterflies threatened to lift me from my seat when I saw his smile. I felt my eyes going soft as I looked at him.
Even with the perfect, symetrical face, I was seeing something new every day. Just the way his shaggy, messy hair had grown since I first saw him and how it stood on end from him running his hand through it.
He stopped opposite the counter from me and leaned over to look at my work from a sideways upside down angle.

"So you didn't write 'I chose Japan because Ethan is awsome' and hand that in?" He asked in pretend insult.

I laughed.

"As amazingly awsome as Ethan is, they want real influences, references, sources," I grinned.

"Sounds about as dull as economy," he said.

"How are things looking for getting out of that?" I asked.

"To my parent's great astonishment - considering my exeptionally sloppy attitude to practicing - I am on the shortlist," he informed me.

"Yay, Ethan," I cheered falsely.

"I suspect that some embarassing rockers, cheering as if they were seeing Iron Maiden, might have subliminally upped my impression on the judges," he said pointing at me.

"You're welcome," I said while I did a seated bow.

"Well... hearing Oddball scream at the top of his lungs 'Ethan, we love you, man' did kinda boost my ego," he chuckled.

"It should. We spent hours practicing the cheers," I replied.

Just then Oddball and Simon entered followed by Elsie.

"You on that already?" Simon frowned at my report.

"Yeah. It's better when my ideas are fresh," I replied.

My mum had invited Josh and Abby for dinner, meaning I had to clear the kitchen so she could cook. I packed up my work and herded the crowd downstairs.

A few minutes later, Abby came clattering downstairs. She stopped at the base of the stairs taking in the complete Obstruction crew.
She spotted Simon in his washed out t-shirt. And squealed.
Totally ruining the epic bassline Simon was doing.

"Abby! They're working!" Elsie told her off from her claimed spot next to me in the sofa where we were running lyrics.

"Sorry," Abby said and took a self concious seat in an armchair.