Fixing The Scatter {3}

"Wait, wait, wait," Nate said, holding up a hand. "Staz Montgomery?"

"Is there anyone else with a name that strange?" I said, raising my eyebrow.

"You're right Judeikas, Staz is such a strange name," Landon said. He grunted as I punched him.

It's not like I asked to be named Judeikas. My mother loved that name for some reason, so I got stuck with it. At least most people just called me Jude. Staz? You couldn't even get a nickname out of that. Although some people would just call him Monty.

Nate was shaking his head. "He's weird. Doesn't he have a million siblings?"

"He has three brothers," I said, picturing the family. Sometimes we attended dinners or parties that his family was at. Staz always looked hopelessly out of place amongst his family. "Usually only him and his two brothers come to events, though."

"Speaking of siblings, how long is yours going to have that asshole hanging around the house?" Landon said, shooting a look at Nate.

Nate shrugged helplessly. "It's not my fault Asher and Will are friends. They knew each other for a long time."

"Dinner!" Nate's mom called from downstairs.

The three of us got up and went downstairs to the dining room, sitting at the table. Judy set up food and crossed her arms.

"Nathan, please go get your brother and Will. Also, your father called to say he was working late tonight," she said.

Nate sighed and got up, heading upstairs. Landon and I filled our plates with food as Nate came back downstairs, followed by Asher and Will.

Will shot me a dirty look as he sat down, but didn't say anything. I shot him a smirk just to piss him off.

But I couldn't do anything to him right now, not with Nate's mom sitting here. My anger seemed to just keep building up more and more. I needed to get it out somehow. I'd have to find Ethan tomorrow.

We finished eating and went upstairs, playing video games until it got late. I left Nate's house and drove back to my own, hoping I could slip up to my room without being noticed. I'd ended up hanging around the school until Landon was out of practice.

I opened the front door and tried to sneak through the kitchen. If I could just make it to the dining room...

"Judeikas!"

I winced and made my way to the living room. My mom glared at me from the couch, surrounded by papers and books.

"Were you with Nate all day? You better have your homework done," she said.

"My homework is done, mother," I said.

She gave me a suspicious look. My mother was incredibly strict about my grades, and used to be incredibly strict about sports before I got injured. She was strict about everything, really. Sometimes she even dragged me along to do volunteer work with her and my father.

"Judeikas, I hope you're not slipping in school because of Gideon," mom said.

I winced slightly and tightened up my expression. "No. I'm not."