Fixing The Scatter {8}

"I'm just saying, she's shy but she's hot," Landon said.

I threw a piece of popcorn at him. "We're not actually friends with Mia, Landon. We were just using her."

Landon picked the popcorn up out of his lap and tossed it into his mouth, shrugging at me. "Hey, whatever. That doesn't change her level of attractiveness." He turned to Nate. "Who are you after?

"Probably Sonnet," I said, snickering as Nate kicked me.

"I told you that I don't have a crush on her anymore!" Nate said.

"I see the way you look at her," I taunted.

"Jude!" Nate was blushing, glaring at me.

"If she wanted to date you, you'd be all over her," I said.

Nate glared. "Let it drop. Go back to whining over Gideon."

"Not funny." I kicked him.

We were sitting in my room. I had an ice pack tied to my shoulder by my T-shirt.

"What about you, Jude? Have you hooked up with anyone since Gideon?" Landon asked.

"No," I said, hating how my voice sounded as I said it. The only person I'd ever slept with was Gideon. Now, for all I knew, he was screwing Benji Bryant.

"Isn't Toby gay? Hook up with him. Get your mind off Gideon," Landon said with a shrug.

"First of all, that's not how this works. I don't just sleep with people because they're gay," I said. "And second, Toby wouldn't just sleep with someone. He and I both have self-respect, Landon."

"You could hook up with Staz instead," he said, and Nate laughed.

"I feel bad for anyone desperate enough to try to hook up with that freak. Just imagine him screaming like that every time you touched him," Nate said.

"I wonder why he does that," Landon said thoughtfully.

"Who cares? It's entertaining." I adjusted the ice pack on my shoulder.

There was a knock on my door and then my dad slowly came in. He smiled at us, but it slipped as he eyed the ice pack on my shoulder.

"How's your shoulder, Jude?" he asked.

"It's fine. Better than this morning," I said.

"Good. Let me know if it keeps hurting you," he said. "I just came in to check on your shoulder. I also brought you guys more popcorn." He held up a steaming bag.

He came over and tore open the bag, pouring it into the bowl that was resting between me and Nate. Nate grabbed a few pieces and tossed them into his mouth.

"So what are you guys up to?" dad asked curiously.

"Reminding Nate that he's hopelessly in love," I said, snickering and rolling away as he tried to kick me.

"Look who's talking!" Nate said, still trying to kick me.

Dad watched me with sad eyes. I knew he was upset that I wouldn't tell him the details behind my breakup with Gideon. I knew it bothered him that he couldn't help me. But there was no way I was telling my dad what had really happened.