Fixing The Scatter {20}

"Jude!"

I turned as Staz came over to me. I was standing at my locker with Nate and Landon. We had been arguing over which Disney movie was the best (Landon, the fucking bitch cake that he was, didn't think Lilo And Stitch was the best).

"Hi Staz," I said as he stopped in front of me.

"I drew you this," he said, holding a paper out to me.

"It looks like something from Jean-Michel Basquiat," I said, looking at the drawing.

Staz looked surprised and overly pleased. "I tried to copy his style. His art reminds me of you."

"I'm not sure that's a compliment," I said.

"How can you even tell art styles?" Landon asked, peeking at the drawing. "They all look the same to me."

"Jean-Michel Basquiat has a unique style," I said, sticking the drawing carefully into my bag. "Besides, you know my mom loves art. She's been taking me to shows my whole life. My dad likes street art. Now, fuck off, Landon."

"No," Landon said.

"Landon, when I say 'fuck off', off you will fuck," I said, shooing him away.

"You're such an ass. Fine, I'll go find Mia," he said, taking off down the hallway.

He didn't know there was anything between me and Staz and I liked it that way for right now. Here in the hallway was not the place to tell Landon.

"You remind me of a Keith Haring drawing," I said, eyeing Staz. Simple and childish at first glance, but full of complex and powerful meaning. "I'm going to come to your house afterschool."

He smiled. "Okay. I'll wait for you on the porch."

"You do that. I'll see you afterschool." I grabbed Nate and pulled him away. When we were a safe distance from Staz, I stopped and faced Nate. "I'm going to date Staz and if you're an asshole about it, I'm going to punch you."

"I'm not going to be an asshole about it," he said with a shrug.

"Tell Landon for me. And make sure he isn't obnoxious about it," I said.

"Yea, sure. Do Staz's parents know? Do yours?"

I shook my head. "No and no. Although I told my mother I kissed Staz. It's my life and they get no say in who I date. Staz, on the other hand, might need help convincing his parents. I'll handle it."

"You seem distracted. Is everything okay?" Nate asked.

"Everything should be okay by the end of the day," I said with a shrug. I didn't want to tell anyone what I was doing before I went to Staz's house afterschool. And if I thought on it too hard, I'd really lose my composure.

"Let's go to class," Nate said as the late bell rang.

We made our way to class and I threw myself full force into my school work just to keep my mind occupied. I caught a few glimpses of Staz in the hallways throughout the day, but didn't make any attempts to talk to him. We could talk tonight. For now, I needed to nurture the confidence I'd built for what needed to be done.