Fixing The Scatter {17}

"Hold on, he held your hand?" Nate asked in surprise.

We were sitting together on a bench in the hallway, waiting for the warning bell to ring. Landon was off helping his sister with something, so I'd decided that now was a good time to tell Nate about everything that happened yesterday.

"Yes, he held my hand," I said. "He also told me he wants to kiss me."

"Did you kiss him?" Nate asked.

I shot him a glare. "Do I look like I would be willing to kiss him?"

"Just a question," he said with a shrug.

I leaned back against the wall and sighed. "God, holding hands is the most I've done since I broke up with Gideon. I haven't kissed anyone or had sex or anything."

But I didn't really want to think about that. I didn't want to think about Gideon lying in bed with Benji, holding him close. I didn't want to think of Gideon getting over me and moving on like he had never loved me.

"I want to hit something," I grumbled.

"Not me," Nate said, sliding away from me on the bench. "You hit hard."
"Hey, Jude!"

"Kill me," I groaned as Toby came up to me.

He grinned. "I know you're always happy to see me."

"I am really not in the mood, Tobias," I said.

"I don't care, Judeikas," he said. "We need to talk about Staz."

"No, you know what we need to talk about?" I stood up so that I was at the same height as Toby. "We need to talk about how you won't leave me the hell alone. So why don't you go run off and mind your own business? Or are you just looking for a distraction since the love of your life is done using you as his sex toy now that he has a new guy to fuck?"

Toby's grin faltered for a moment. "Ironic, coming from a guy who still wants pity for a relationship he ruined all by himself."

"You're a little outnumbered here so you best watch your mouth," Nate said, standing up and glaring at Toby.

But Toby ignored him. "My father was talking to his mother yesterday, and she apparently went on about how the 'Nice Tibbits boy' had befriended Staz," he said. "If you're just messing with him-"

"If I'm just messing with him there's not a damn thing you'll do about it Tobias," I said. "If you keep annoying me, I'll invite the boy you're infatuated with to a party, I'll spike his drink until he's hopelessly out of it, I'll use him as a punching bag, and I'll toss him outside and leave him to fend for himself."

"I'm not someone to piss off," he warned.

Nate shoved him so hard that he nearly fell over. "Neither are we."

Toby caught himself and eyed us. "Don't hurt anyone you know I care about, Judeikas."

He turned and walked away, disappearing out of sight. I dropped back down onto the bench and Nate copied me.

"You were the one warning me not to fuck with him," I said.

"Yea, well, he won't leave you alone," he said.

I rubbed at my eyes. "This is such a pain in the ass."

"So what are you going to do about Staz?" Nate asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Honestly? I just don't care about being mean to him anymore."

"Why not go to his house afterschool and try to figure out just how big his crush is?" Nate offered.