Fixing The Scatter {13}

I drummed my fingers on the lunch table impatiently as I waited for Nate and Landon to get their slow asses here. Toby watched me curiously.

"You look like you're going to murder someone," he said.

"It'll be you if you don't leave me alone," I said.

Toby shrugged. "As long as it's not Staz."

"And if it is Staz?" I challenged.

Toby smiled. "It's cute how you think I'm afraid of you."

I returned the smile. "It's cute how you think you don't need to be afraid of me."

Toby's smile shifted into a smirk and he pulled out his phone, texting. I turned my attention away from him to watch the door for any sign of my friends.

I watched as Gideon walked in, holding hands with Benji. Benji said something that made Gideon laugh, and my heart ached as I watched him. I used to love making him laugh like that. Feeling his shoulders shaking with it as he leaned against me.

Now I had to watch as he leaned over to kiss Benji's cheek. The two sat down, still holding hands and smiling as they talked with each other.

I forced myself to look away. Never good enough. Never good enough for my mom or Gideon.

Nate and Landon came into the cafeteria together, waiting for me. I stood up and went started moving towards them.

"Jude!" Toby called. I faced him, raising an eyebrow. He gave me that damn smug smile of his that I hated so much. "Don't mess with Staz."

I smirked. "Don't tell me what to do, Tobias."

I left the cafeteria, leading my friends down to the art wing. I pushed the door open and we started down the hallway.

"Excuse me."

We froze and turned to face Mrs. Van, the art teacher. She was glaring, her arms crossed, a phone in one of her hands. I could see it open to her emails.

"Jude Tibbits. I've heard about you and your family. I am disgusted," she said angrily.

"Why?" I asked in fake shock. I already knew, though. Oh, that cheap fucker. I'd get Toby back for this.

"A student emailed me, concerned because he said he'd seen some boys going into the art room several times. He said they were upsetting Staz and tearing up his drawings," she said, eyeing each of us.

"We would never," I cried in surprise. "I was coming to check on Staz because he told me someone was tearing his drawings. He wouldn't tell me who. But the other day afterschool, I saw these two guys bullying him. Dan and Logan, I think their names are."

She blushed in embarrassment. "Oh, my goodness. I am so sorry boys. I thought..." She shook her head a little. "That makes sense. I know who you're talking about. I've caught them bullying poor Staz before."

"Was it Toby who emailed you? He told me he was going to because he was worried about Staz," I said. "I told him that we would come check on him today."

"It was Toby," she said with a nod. She got a disgusted look on her face. "I'll find those boys and make sure they don't get away with bullying Staz. He's a sweet boy. He doesn't deserve to be picked on like that."