Fixing The Scatter {12}

I waited until Staz's car was out of the parking lot before heading down to get into my own car. Nate and Landon were off at soccer practice, so I had plenty of time before I had to worry about them asking where I was.

I didn't intend to tell them I was heading back to Staz's house. It was partly because I wasn't necessarily going there to be mean to Staz; I was just genuinely curious about his home life now. I hated it, but I tended to be fascinated by home lives and family interaction. Maybe because my own family was so messed up.

Both of my parents had come from poor families. My dad had come from a broken home that couldn't even afford to eat every day. Then they managed to get themselves to college, got married, and started their own family. My parents were definitely the most stable in their families. I enjoyed watching the interactions between my cousins and their parents.

But I tried to keep that side of me pretty quiet. I didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea. It's not that I had any desire to help broken families or anything; I was just fascinated by family interactions.

I parked in Staz's driveway when I got there, getting out of my car and heading up to the front door. I rang the doorbell and waited patiently until Mr. Montgomery had opened the door.

"Jude," he said in surprise. He bit his lip. "Is this about Staz? Did he do something?"

I shook my head. "No, he didn't do anything. I just need to talk to him."

Mr. Montgomery led me inside and to the living room. Ian and Nero were sitting together on the floor, looking at blueprints together. They looked up as I entered and Ian got an annoyed expression.

"What did Staz do now?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said, shrugging.

"You're a good kid. You should stay away from Staz. He'll only bring you down," Ian said.

"Ian!" Mr. Montgomery said sharply. "That is enough. Staz isn't a bad kid."

"He's an embarrassment," Ian said, eyes dropping back down to the papers as he shifted them. "Him and Dante both are."

"Stop it," Mr. Montgomery said, rubbing his temples. "Nero, go get Staz."

Nero got up and went off upstairs. There was a vibrating noise and Ian looked up to glare at his father's phone as Mr. Montgomery pulled it out.

"It's Dante again, isn't it? Just block his number," Ian said. "Honestly, he's an adult. He should know better by now."

Mr. Montgomery ignored the call and put his phone back in his pocket. He offered me a smile and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'm sorry about all of this, Jude. It's been hectic around here. I have a project that I'm working on, so Ian and Nero have been at the house constantly to help me," he said.

"Isn't Dante your other son? If he's calling, you should answer," I said, making myself sound innocent.

Mr. Montgomery shook his head. "No, no. Dante's been calling me and my wife nonstop. He heard Staz's work was going to be in one of the local art shows, but he didn't know where or when."

"You're not going to tell him?" I asked. Man, what a screwed up family.

He shook his head again. "No." He let out a sigh. "It's best of Dante isn't around Staz. Staz is easily influenced and, well..."