Chapter 9

Amanda's POV

It was midnight. I was laying on my bed with eyes opened. If I closed them only for a minute, I'm afraid I'll fall asleep.

Mother went into her room long ago, probably sleeping now, Ezra was on the balcony for quite some time, but when she felt cold, she came in and lay down. But the only problem was Bruna. She was sitting on her bed with her legs down hanging and barely touching the floor.

"Why are you not sleeping?" I questioned.

"Why aren't you? At least, I'm reading a book. You're not doing anything to keep you awake."

"I'm just thinking."

"About what? Can I know?" she straighted and smiled childishly, leaving her book on the bed.

"Nothing. We'll talk tomorrow. Okay? Go to sleep." I said, trying my best to sound like nothing is wrong.

"Are you nervous for some reason? Your voice is weird." Bruna asked, clearly concerned.

"No, I'm fine." I lied.

"Sad?"

"Bruna, please."

"You're not talking to me, Am. You're acting different.Please, open up to me. Tell me what's bothering you." she sat on my bed, gazing into my eyes waiting for my response.

"I'm just thinking about last few days. Maybe this trip was a mistake."

"No," Bruna argued, "going into that hole was a mistake."

"Well, you know I changed my mind when I saw how deep it was, but I fell into it accidentally."

"Yeah, you're right. But did you notice? Something's going on. The weather is different, colder. I think it will rain tonight."

"I hope it won't."

"I like sleeping when it's raining, it's somehow relaxing."

"Yeah, whatever." I smiled at her closing my eyes for the first time tonight, acting like I want to sleep.

But she was still sitting there, unmoving and I had a feeling she was staring at me. Then she leaned her head on my chest and hugged me tightly, then whispered:

"I love you."

I didn't know should I answer or act like I was too tired so I fell asleep instantly.

Long silence forestalled, so I decided not to answer anything. Maybe she would finally get up and go to sleep.

And she did it. Turned the lamp off and tucked in her bed.

I waited for couple minutes, with my eyes still closed. I knew it was a bad idea. I sank into my dreams, but it felt so short. Silent, slow, timid knocking, that was more and more louder by each second, woke me up. It was Marine behind the glass doors staring at me with eyes wide open, like she's going to kill me.

I jumped out from my bed and silently tiptoe to the door. I placed my finger up to my lip, indicating her to be considerably silent.

"What the hell were you doing? We agreed to meet in front of your house half an hour ago!" Marine exclaimed.

"Shhh. Quiet. We don't want to wake anyone." I shushed her, "Sorry, I was too tired, I didn't plan it."

"Whatever. Let's go. It's raining a bit, by the way. We could use an umbrella."