Chapter 4: 88 Days

Addison invited me to the first preseason hockey game for our school. It's more of just a scrimmage. She says she's only going to see Aiden, her twin brother, but from what I have gathered within the past week, she's going to see Marcus play. I know she likes him. He hasn't bothered me since Monday, so I've been lucky, a whole week without even seeing him.

I put on my red and black sweatshirt. The Flames. It's much better than the Bengals. I wasn't a huge fan of our logo. A tiger jumping through a hoop of fire. Not a fan. But our logo here at my new school looks like the Calgary Flames sign, but a few adjustments. Like the C is an O. Oscarville, Illinois.

Addison buys me a ticket because she said it's my welcoming gift from her. I sit with her and her group of friends. They all seem nice, but Danielle seems to have a small problem with me. I don't really care though. If she does, she can, but it doesn't worry me.

We win the scrimmage 6-1. Marcus got a hat trick, and people threw their hats onto the ice over the glass. Marcus plays with a huge ego, though seeing how he plays, he deserves to. Every time they celebrated on the glass, a huge group of girls would run up and squeal because they were so close to the boys. Addison has a huge crush on him, and so do Becca and Tif.

Marcus invites Addison and I, and her other friends out for a late lunch with a few other members of the team. Addison doesn't object, but I have my doubts about it. Every time Marcus saw me today during the game, he smirked at me. It makes me uncomfortable and I need Cole here. Either Noah or Cole would take care of it. I know it sounds like I can only solve problems with my guy friends taking care of it, but it's one of those things that I can't handle on my own, and I know Addison isn't going to help anything.

I get directions from Addison to some sandwich place. I get in my car and drive off before Marcus can come over to me. I saw him eye me as I got in my car, the evil look on his face was back. I don't make more eye contact than I need. The drive takes less than 5 minutes and I'm the first one at the restaurant. Moments later, the rest of our party is here and I find Addison. She is glued to Marcus's side. I keep my distance.

"So Meredith, how's your boyfriend?" Marcus asks as we walk into the restaurant.

"Cole's fine. He made captain again this year, his third year." I say nicely. Trying to get him to try something else. I dare him to. It won't be pretty. I promise that.

"Well that's good. What position does he play?" Addison chimes in.

"Center". I say with a quick smile.

"Like Toews, I'm guessing?" Marcus questions.

"Not entirely, he's had nineteen since he was little". Why is Marcus being nice to me? This look on his face is something that I haven't seen. He's showing off, I know it, just for Addison.

"Well, if you like hockey, you like Toews. It's like, an unwritten rule", another guy from the hockey team says from the other side of Marcus.

A hostess shows us to a large table in the back corner. Addison and Marcus sit in the corner, just inches apart from each other. They say they aren't a couple, but I beg to differ. They would make a cute couple, they fit together.

I sit with Aiden, Addison's brother. They look exactly alike. I think the only major difference is eye color. But I think Addison wears contacts to change the color. Aiden's eyes are brown, where Addison's are a teal-ish green. They don't seem like a normal eye color, at least from what I've seen. Aiden is super nice, and definitely Addison's brother. They act just alike. Well, accept for the whole gossip thing. As a guy, Aiden isn't into that kind of thing, which I am kind of grateful. I've never been into that kind of thing. Too much drama comes out of it, and everyone knows I have a lot of drama already.

Addison is glued to Marcus, they haven't moved the past hour. Marcus's arm is around Addison's shoulder, she is snuggled into his side. I can tell Aiden is disgusted. He looks like he is about to throw up every time he looks at them. I feel the same way. Addison is my new best friend and Marcus is the guy I hate. How am I supposed to feel about this? How was Aiden supposed to feel about this?

"Please tell me I'm not the only one disgusted by this?" Aiden whispers into my ear, he nods towards Addison and Marcus. I nod with wide eyes. "Tell me we can leave?" I nod again.

"Let's go". I say. Aiden and I stand up.

Addison looks over to me. "You know you have a boyfriend", she says.

"You know you don't?" I say back with a smirk, hinting at a conversation we had the other night. Marcus looks a little confused.

Addison laughs. "That's true. Have fun".

With that, Aiden and I walk out of the restaurant. We really don't care if we ate or not. No one wanted to order, and we were both so hungry. We decide on a diner that Aiden knows of just outside of town line, called Town Line Diner.

We each take our own cars and meet at the restaurant in no time. We walk in and grab a seat at a booth near the back.

This is not a date, is it?