Chapter 30: Back to School

I go back to Bangor Township school today. I get up early and take my shower even before I hear Noah come out of his room. I put on a super cute outfit, then put my hair in a ponytail and curl it at the ends. Also, I add just a touch of makeup and I'm ready for the day.

I grab my messenger bag from the end of my bed and head down stairs. Walking into the kitchen, I see Noah standing at the counter next to stove. He's mixing something in a bowl. "Good morning", I say cheerfully.

"Mornin' Princess", he replies.

I put my bag in one of the chairs at the table and walk over next to him. He's measuring oil into the bowl. I look at the bottle. It's olive oil! "Noah!" I yell.

He looks over at me with an annoyed look on his face. "What?" he looks confused.

"That's olive oil. Not canola oil", I blurt out. "Put that down right now".

He slowly puts the bottle and measuring cup down. I take a deep breath. Noah still looks confused. "What's the difference?"

I look at him with wide eyes. "I'm going to give you a cooking lesson at some point in the near future", I start. "Canola oil is what you will always use when making waffles, pancakes, cookies, and pretty much anything that you bake. Olive oil is used just like salt or pepper. You put it in a pan when you cook meat, like chicken or steak. Now, I am going to make the rest of these. How about you get out the maple syrup and the orange juice please", Noah takes a fake huffy breath.

I finish the pancakes and we eat quickly. Noah goes back upstairs as we finish the dishes to take a shower, and I leave for school. The drive takes just under 10 minutes. There was literally no traffic going into Bangor. I drive into the parking lot and find Cole's car. It's in the exact same spot as it has been for the past two years. I find a spot right next to his, which was Noah's last year. I park and get out of the car.

Normally the team stands out at their cars until the bell rings, but none of them are out here. All of their cars are, but not them. I take my phone out of my bag and call Cole. He picks up on the fifth ring.

"Hey Sweet Thang", that makes me smile.

"Hey. Where are you and the team?" I question.

"I know. I'm sorry. Coach called the freshmen and sophomores to the rink, and the senior players need to meet in the student conference room. Meet me in the gym after you get your schedule. I should be there in the next few minute", he says quickly.

"Okay, see you in a few", with that, I hang up and walk into the front office. Mrs. Dillon sits at her usual place at the desk.

She looks up at me. "Meredith!" She looks so happy to see me. "I heard you were coming back. Here's your schedule and map, just in case. Welcome back".

"Thanks Mrs. Dillon. I'm so glad to be back". I walk back out of the office and walk slowly down the halls.

At the opposite end of the school, I walk into the gymnasium. Looking at my schedule, I'm not paying attention to what's actually happening in front of me.

"Welcome back", I hear a crowd scream in front of me. I look up from my schedule.

Both the girls and the guys hockey teams stand in front of the stage, all looking at me. It takes me a second to register it, but then it hits me. I stop in my tracks and look at the huge banner that says: WELCOME BACK MEREDITH.

"Oh my god, guys", I say.

I see Cole standing in front of all of them. "You liar!" I laugh at him. He shrugs sarcastically as I run up to him for a hug. I hug him, then a few guys, whom I've known since sophomore year, and most of the girls from the team. Finally, I'm greeted by Coach Xavier and Coach Rodriguez. I get a hug from each of them, too. After everyone, I go back over to Cole. He kisses my forehead. Every one makes a circle next to us.

I notice all of the hockey guys looks at one another, a few nod to each other. Cole has a smirk on his face. I know what happens next. "All hail Mrs. Hockey princess", the team, except the freshmen, all bow to me. I start to laugh, and so do most of the girls. The other girls blush, in embarrassment. 

"I completely forgot about this", I choke out between laughs.

The bell rings a few minutes later, and I'm off to Advanced Placement Calculus with Cole. Then, I have study hall, Botany, Lunch with everyone, World Literature with Cole, Model UN, and finally French class.

I'm back. I'm staying, I'm graduating. Right here in Bangor Township school. This is my home.