Chapter Six

Four Champions

~Arden Diggory~

It was time for the champions to be selected. The Great Hall had been changed. The goblet stood in the centre of the hall while the tables were around it. No one sat and their designated house seats, everyone was mixed together, however most of the Slytherins sat with just other Slytherins.

I was in between Harry and Ron. Hermione was next to Harry, and Luna next to her. We were sitting with others on the edge of the room, while a table of Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were in front of us. Cedric was sitting with his friends with his back to me. I'd occasionally kick my feet into his back to tease him. He'd turn around and smile, and keep talking to his friends.

"Do you think you'll be picked, Cedric?" I asked, kicking his back lightly to get his attention.

"I don't know, I hope so though!" Cedric beamed.

"But people die in this tournament." I said worriedly.

"Imagine Arden. Imagine the opportunities, imagine the experience!" I shrugged my shoulders and turned to Harry.

"Who do you think will be chosen?" I asked him.

"I dunno but I hope it's not a Slytherin." He said.

"I hope it's Katie Bell." Hermione said. Ron and Harry nodded. Draco was across the hall, enduring Pansy Parkinson putting herself all over him. His face was covered with pure disgust as Pansy forced herself onto his lap. She grabbed his arms and forcefully wrapped them around her waist. He looked over her shoulder and mouthed 'Help me' to me. I laughed and he poked his tongue at me.

"Well, isn't Malfoy a player." Harry said coolly. He was looking at Pansy, laughing and having the time of her life while Draco looked like he was crying on the inside.

"She's just so desperate and undesirable that she has to force herself onto someone to get action." I laughed. Ron chuckled and reached over for a high five.

"Silence!" Dumbledore yelled, making me sadly reject Ron's high five. The hall fell silent and watched Dumbledore wipe away every lit flame in the hall with just his hand. "Welcome, to the champion selection!" Dumbledore announced. The hall was silent, and watched the goblet intently, waiting for something to happen. The flame suddenly turned into a light magenta shade, and a piece of parchment flew out from the flame and into Dumbledore's hand.

"The champion from Durmstrang. Viktor Krum!" The Durmstrang students all cheered and applauded as Viktor got up to shake Dumbledore's hand. Ron was clapping furiously and cheering on Viktor as he left the hall. The flame went magenta again and another piece of parchment flew into Dumbledore's hands. "The chamption from Beauxbatons. Fleur Delcaour!" A loud high pitched cheer was heard from the Beauxbatons' table. However some girls at the table were blank faced, or even crying that they weren't chosen. Fleur left the hall. The last champion to be chosen was from Hogwarts.

The anticipation was high. The steady blue flame from the goblet reflected against everyone's glassy, eager eyes. The flame changed its hue again, and Dumbledore caught the third piece of parchment. "The Hogwarts champion." He started. Everyone was on the edge of their seats, waiting who from Hogwarts will be granted their path to glory. Dumbledore read the parchment, and a smile grew on his face. "Cedric Diggory!" He yelled. The cheers in front of me were exceptionally loud. My jaw dropped in shock, horror and excitement all in one. Cedric's friends all gave him a pat on the back. Ron yelled out a 'No!' and I can't help but half agree with him on that.

Cedric stood from the table and pulled me into a quick, tight hug. He let go and walked up to Dumbledore. I couldn't help but grin, and applauded my brother. I cheered for him as he left the hall. As much as I want him to be safe, he wanted to enter this tournament and he was chosen. My older brother, Cedric Diggory, is the champion for Hogwarts. The fact that a Hufflepuff is chosen too is also symbolic, Hufflepuff never gets the recognition they deserve.