Chapter 3

I took my keys and held them up to the light to find the one to the door. Once I found it, I slowly put the key in and unlocked the door. I was trying to be really quiet. It's a good thing I'm a cop. I'm pretty good at being quiet and sneaky with things so I don't tip off suspects.

I walked inside the house and closed the door behind me making sure to re-lock it. I took my jacket off and hung it on the hanger and walked to the kitchen. I got out a cup and went to the faucet. I filled up the cup and took a drink. I flinched when the cold water hit my throat for the first time in what seemed like ages. I drank a cup of water, but was still thirsty, so I got another cup of it. It felt so good to actually get to drink something.

When I was finished, I set the cup down and began my journey upstairs. I walked passed Mariana and Callie's room. I looked in to make sure they were there because I just had a really bad feeling about something. They were both fast asleep in their beds. I smiled at how peaceful they looked and quietly retreated from their room closing the door again.

I then walked to Jude and Jesus' room. I opened the door to check on them. Jesus was asleep on his stomach with his arm hanging off the bed. 'Some things never change' I thought silently laughing and rolling my eyes. Jude, however, had fallen into the floor. I quietly walked into the room and tried to pick him up. He woke up and was very confused. I smiled at him and told him that I found him in the floor and was trying to put him back in bed. He understood, mumbled an 'oh', and got his tired self up and back into the bed.

"Goodnight Mom," he whispered tiredly.

"Goodnight, Jude," I whispered back before giving him a kiss on the forehead.

I left the room and again, closed the door. I then headed to Brandon's room. As I approached, the bad feeling that I couldn't shake got stronger and stronger with each step I took.