Chapter 18

"Uhm.. They were payed by a Porter... Ms. Monte Porter..."

"Monte?!" I asked befuddled. First of all, how did she even know about this? Well, I guess the kids did go back to school after one day out... Second of all, why is she paying the hospital bill for my wife and son?

I looked to Lena wide eyed. Her mouth was agape and she looked just as clueless as I was. I looked back at the woman and asked if she was sure that was the name. She replied with a yes.

"It says 'Porter 'comma' Monte' right here. I would show you, but our records are classified-"

"I am a cop. I can find out anyway," I said immediately. I could feel the red forming on my cheeks. Monte had no right to do this.

"Ma'am, I have no proof. I cannot show you."

"It's my own damn wife and son," I said in disbelief. She gave me the look. You know the one that's like 'calm down, lady. I just work here', so I took out my badge and showed it to her.

"Alright, ma'am... You could get me fired, but since you're actually a cop... Here.." She turned the computer screen towards me and sure enough, it said 'Porter, Monte'.

This is absolutely ridiculous...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Quick thing here... I just want to say thank you guys for reading this story. I also want say thank you for commenting on it. The comments on chapter 17 were great. They were the biggest reaction I've ever gotten on a story and it made my day a lot better to read them and see your reactions.

Well that was longer than planned... whoops

(I also had to go fix something in that chapter because I was rushing to post it and didn't get to double check it cause I had to leave)

Have a wonderful day!! 🌵