Chapter 7: Making Chemistry

Chapter 7

At the end of the school day, the bell rings – an annoyingly loud and ear piercing sound that all students hate and love simultaneously.

I hurriedly maneuvered through the crowded hallways of Oakwood, apologizing to anyone I may have shoved in the process of exiting the building. It felt extremely weird abandoning school knowing I wouldn't be catching the bus, but going over to Devyn's house. I knew that the bus stop was a seven minute walk from school, Jared always offered me a ride, I should have taken him up on that offer. That way I could tell Devyn that I had a family emergency or something.
There was no way she'd believe me though. I take a seat on the stairs in front of the school, patiently, peacefully.

However, I was in a deal with her and perhaps waiting outside for her might be the best option.

So I wait.

And wait...

Thirty minutes later I'm still waiting. My mom had texted me worrying about my whereabouts I shoot her a text saying I'm tutoring someone. I only partially told a fib. Now I was listening to a specific radio station on Spotify as I waited. I didn't know the song playing but it was a good song nonetheless. I adjusted my earphones nodding my head to the beat of the tune blasting in my ears. I was starting to feel as if Devyn stood me up.

However, I let out a breath of air once a girl in a leather jacket, dark skinny jeans, white converse and sunglasses that were properly sitting perfectly in her dark locks came waltzing out oblivious to my existence. This makes me mad. I've been out here for thirty minutes. And for her to just walk passed me expecting me to follow her was just so disrespectful and rude of her. But, what do you expect from a girl like Devyn?

I stared after the bad girl with curious eyes. Was she going to turn around and say something? Anything? Or would she keep walking? She without a doubt noticed me sitting here. I guess she was so used to people just following behind her like a lost puppy.

Seconds later Devyn spins around and nods her head almost saying come on.

And like the lost puppy – I swore I wasn't – followed behind her faithfully.

*****

"Jaxon I'm home." Devyn shouted the moment we stepped through her average sized home. "Aria?"

Jaxon, I assumed, walked out of the kitchen and towards the living room frowning. He was shirtless let me tell you this guy was thick with muscle. Envy fulfills my body because I knew I'd never look like that. I cleared my throat staring at my hand.

"You're forty minutes—" Jaxon's brown eyes widens. "Who's this?"

"A – uh.... friend." Devyn coldly responded. Devyn gives him a glare before staring over at me. "Let's go to my room."

Did she just call me a friend? And then demand me to go into her bedroom? Alright Ryker! Dad would be proud.

"Easy there tiger," Jaxon rushed rolling his eyes. It was clear that Devyn was related to Jaxon. They both had the same olive skin, light brown eyes, dark hair and that Spanish accent. Although, Jaxon's accent was much stronger than Devyn's because Devyn hardly had one as it is. "What's your name kid?" Jaxon sauntered over wiping his flour-y hands on his sweatpants.