Chapter 35: Eighty Million Dollars Worth Sir

Chapter 35

"Hey Ryker wait up a minute," Steffy yelled. I spun around on my heels waiting for her to approach me. "... I just wanted to speak with you about something."

The sudden worry across Stephenie's face instantly caught my attention, "Uh, yeah is everything okay – with Jay?"

"Yes of course. It's not Jared I'm worried about..." Steffy exclaimed grabbing my full attention. "It's Belle. She hasn't been her self lately."

"What do you mean?" I wondered pulling my backpack strap over my shoulder.

"I mean like, Sanchez is well you know, different. She hasn't been doing her homework, ditching classes and she even started..." Steffy glanced over her broad shoulders, "Drinking more frequently."

I gasped. Yeah, that definitely didn't sound like Isabelle Sanchez. I suddenly wondered what was wrong with her. Usually when something was wrong with Belle – it surely wasn't noticeable, she still smiled. Narrowing my eyes over my shoulder I see Jared and Noah heading in my direction.

"Could you please talk to her? She won't listen to Lo and I, perhaps she'll listen to what you have to say."

"And what makes you think she'll listen to me? The guy that um... rejected her?" I responded mumbling the last part underneath me breath. Steffy sighed and shrugged placing her hand on my forearm.

"I don't know but if you could please just say something, anything to her it'll be highly appreciated." Steffy sincerely whined with a slight smile. However, the smile didn't reach her cognac colored eyes.

I nodded stuffing my hands in my deep denim pockets. Letting out a puff of air I responded abruptly, "Sure thing pal."

Steffy waltzed away before Noah sauntered over with a worried expression on his face.

"Everything alright with Steph?" Noah wondered. "She looked devastated, shit hope Jay didn't break her heart so soon. That dick!"

"No it's nothing Jay did. Let's just get to class."

*****

The rest of the day leisurely crept by and before I knew it I was heading back towards my last class of the day. Until, something... someone caught my eye talking to the punk kids.

Belle Sanchez with her textbook in her left hand and Piney, the druggie's hand, in her right.

What was she doing out of class? Mr. G sent me to the office to return some papers to the secretary. But, what's Belle's excuse? I gasped the moment Piney whispered into Belle's ear, she squealed and walked over towards the fire alarm. I hugged the wall narrowing my eyes over my shoulder. Would she actually pull the fire alarm? My question was answered almost instantly when Belle yanked down on the alarm, and took off in the opposite direction.