❉| chapter two

❝the secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new

❝the secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.❞

-socrates, philosopher

I'M KNOWN FOR BEING a chaotic driver, which is probably why they put me in the front seat.  Raven has often told me I always go faster than necessary and swerve way too much. However, since Kane's vague message is nagging my brain, I shoot double-time.

"Oh, my God," Bellamy grunts as I slam on the brakes, shooting forward and back into his seat due to the belt. Ignoring him, I cut off the ignition and leap out of the car.

"I think you caused me permanent brain damage!" Monty exclaims from the back with an undertone of pain in his voice.

"You'll get over it," I call to him. Then, to Bellamy as he gets out of the Rover, I ask, "Is that why you wanted me to come? So I'd get us here faster?"

He nods in confirmation and straps his rifle over his shoulder. I shrug and walk alongside him into the wide tunnel we stopped outside of, the shadows swallowing us whole.

"You were right about Jasper, okay?" Monty says to him after catching up with us. "Is that what you want me to say?"

"Quiet," Bellamy simply orders back. "Keep your eyes peeled. I could've said no."

"He's getting worse, isn't he?" Monty continues wearily. "I mean, getting drunk every night is one thing, but smiling with a knife to your throat... that's next-level damaged."

"It's PTSD, Monty," I remind him calmly. "I think we're all a little next-level damaged."

We slow down once the tunnel opens up into forest ground again. Though it may have led to a metropolis or road in the past, it's now blocked off by a large chunk of forest that starts only a few meters from the end. Kane appears from the brush with someone in tow. He's covering them too much for me to see who it is.

"Who's he with?" Monty wonders quietly.

Kane moves to the side, allowing his companion to be visible. I'm not sure how to feel about seeing her. Her fierce features, threatening grip on the sword at her side, and ruler-straight posture never fail to instill a chill in me.

"Indra," Bellamy replies.

Indra. A bringer of good news or bad?

Monty raises his eyebrows in alarm. "That's Indra?"

"He must've told her we broke the truce," Bellamy sighs, then says to Kane, "Sir, before you say anything, there was a good reason--"

Kane holds his hand up to stop him. He appears older than he did three months ago, with a graying beard covering his chin and more creases on his face due to stress. "We'll deal with that later. This is about Clarke."