❉| chapter twelve

❝you shouldn't have broken her

❝you shouldn't have broken her. you made her nothing but sharp edges and scattered wounds, and now she will stop at nothing to make you bleed with the wounds you inflicted.❞

-k.s, poet

THE WALLS BLUR INTO a trail of bleak color due to how fast I walk toward Pike's room. Since he'd been elected Chancellor, he has relocated to Abby's old room, which is why I know exactly where to storm.

But along the way, I'm stopped by Bellamy.

He gently grabs my arm, causing me to stop and stare at him. My determined expression melts into a mix of confusion and surprise at the sight of him. He looks urgent. I can tell that he can see the question in my eyes. His own dart around as if checking for any lurking figures. It's just us in the corridor.

Even so, he seems not to want any risks. Releasing me, Bellamy beckons me after him without a word. Just his body language alone informs me not to inquire what this is about until it's safe.

He eventually pulls me into a storage closet and closes the door behind us. These are sparse on the Ark due to a need for space, so the tiny room is stuffed to the brim with various supplies. It's dusty; I fight the urge to sneeze.

"I'm assuming Kane told you of your new position?" is what he starts off with.

"Yeah," I confirm. "How'd you know?"

"You have your 'What the hell, Pike?' face on, so I figured," he half-jokes, though I probably do have an expression like that. His expression turns serious. "But you have to listen very carefully. Don't even ask Pike why he appointed you as Commander, just decline it and go."

My head tilts slightly to the side. "It seems like you aren't surprised."

Bellamy sighs and glances at the wall to his left. When he speaks next, he takes a step forward and drops his voice an octave even lower than it already is; I have to almost strain to catch his every word.

"When Pike wanted to speak with me the first time, he tried to get you in on this, too," he informs. "But I knew you wouldn't agree with what he was doing. Maybe you didn't like what Lexa did, but you'd never...kill just to kill. And I admit that was wrong- we crossed a line. But he apparently ignored my plea to keep you out of this."

"He thinks that if I'm in charge of the Guard, he can convince me to..." I trail off, a sick feeling beginning to brew in my stomach. While a dangerous tactic, it's pretty clever.

Bellamy nods in confirmation, if not a bit hesitantly. "Yeah. He knows you're kickass, and persuasive. I just think that if you ask him about his motives, he'll seize that opportunity."

I blink. It's a lot to take in, that Pike wants me for more power and believes I can command the entire Guard while still maintaining my job as a Medical trainee. The truth is, I cannot see myself in a position of such power. I'd be an eighteen-year-old in charge of men twice my age. I am not that kind of leader. There's already too much on my plate as it is.