❉| chapter twenty-eight

❝parting is such sweet sorrow that i shall say good night till it be morrow

❝parting is such sweet sorrow that i shall say good night till it be morrow.❞

-shakespeare, romeo and juliet

THE ATMOSPHERE IS JUST as foreboding as our situation. Instead of a clear, calm night, we're met with rain as Bellamy drives through the forest to reach Polis. The water droplets pound quietly on the roof of the rover. It's the only sound except for the occasional direction from Clarke; Octavia, Miller, Bryan, Roan, and I are silent in the back the entire trip.

"There it is," Clarke says as the familiar tower in the middle of Polis comes into view. "We stop here."

Bellamy shifts the vehicle into park just before a clearing in the woods, several meters away from a sudden drop-off that overlooks the city. Clarke is the first one out. She hurriedly walks closer to the edge of the cliff to examine it from afar. I exit silently, the rain splattering on my head as soon as I climb out of the safety of the rover.

My gaze is instantly drawn to the looming tower in the distance. I've only seen it during the day; at night, it's an entirely different scene. The narrow, rounded building is lit from within, almost every single balcony shining with golden light. Puffs of smoke pour out of the top. The city is clearly busy, but this has to work.

"Alright," Roan begins as he approaches Clarke. "This is where we split up. The entrance to the tunnel is right over there."

"Yeah, we know where it is," Bellamy replies. I glance at him, catching the distant expression on his face. He's thinking about the last time we came here, when Echo had tricked and humiliated us in front of the Coalition. It seems like it was so long ago despite it only being about a month.

Roan faces Clarke, the expression on his face suggesting she isn't going to like the idea he's about to present. "I'm gonna need the Flame. Look, this only works if they send Ontari out to get it. If they don't see it, they won't do that. Not much of a trap without the bait."

Clarke's mouth twists to the side as she mulls over the decision. Her eyes briefly drift to me, seeking advice. I give her the tiniest of nods. She digs the tiny metal container out of her pocket and holds it out to the Grounder. However, when he takes it, she doesn't let go.

"Fine," she agrees. "But I'm coming with you."

I send her a bewildered look, wondering if I heard her correctly. Bellamy wears a similar expression of confusion on his face. He shakes his head, eyebrows pinched.

"No way," he protests. "That is not the plan."

Clarke removes her hand from the Flame, her eyes still on Roan and filled with determination "It is now. I'm not letting that out of my sight. And I'm the only one who knows the passphrase, so you can tell them that without me, Ontari won't ascend."