❉| chapter five

❝so comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings

❝so comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.❞

-j.r.r tolkein, author

ONE OF THE THINGS that makes Earth so magnificent is the fresh air. Even after being on the ground for five months, I'm still not fully used to the way that the clean oxygen feels. It proves just how artificial the Ark really was.

I inhale deeply after climbing out of the Rover. The air is still slightly chilled from winter having just passed, but it's still nice enough for Gina to wear a short-sleeved shirt. I feel more comfortable having my jacket with me at all times. I've re-stocked it with medical supplies just in case something is to happen.

Bellamy appears troubled as he gazes out into the field, and I know that he's wishing he could be out with the Summit Delegation in Polis. However, because of our injuries, we've been placed with the mechanics and Octavia.

Gina steps up to confront him about the frown plastered on his face. Since she's so charismatic, I trust that she'll be able to coax him into feeling a little bit better about this mission.

I find myself glancing at where Caleb is opening the driver's side door for Raven. She waves off his offer to help her down and eases onto the soft grass slowly but surely. The expression of concern on Caleb's face is apparent; I can see it in his eyes how much he cares for her.

One thing is for sure: Caleb is not the same person I dated years ago. That boy would not have the plain look of adoration on his face that he does now. He's definitely changed, and maybe that's why I find it so easy to talk to him. The ridge of awkwardness is still wedged between us, but it's definitely not as bad as it could be.

"Hey Fallon, quit your daydreaming and help us out, would you?" Raven teases. I had been so preoccupied with my thoughts that I haven't noticed that they've moved to the trunk.

"Yeah, sorry," I apologize, shaking my head to clear it. Bellamy sends me a playful grin for which I softly punch him in the biceps for on my way toward the trunk. Raven hands me a large, canvas backpack that's extremely heavy. I shoulder it with some difficulty.

"Did I ever tell you guys how I saved Sinclair's ass on the Ark?" she asks.

Octavia shakes her head as she also straps a bag on. "Please don't."

"You mean the time you went rogue on a spacewalk?" Gina wonders with amusement in her voice. My eyebrows pinch together in confusion. Spacewalk? Hadn't that been Finn?

But Raven doesn't give me time to question it. "That depends on your definition of 'going rogue'."

Caleb, noticing my questioning look, subtly shakes his head. He doesn't want me to ask. Which, I suppose, is fair considering it's none of my business.