❉| chapter seventeen

❝i held an atlas in my lap, ran my fingers across the whole world and whispered, 'where does it hurt?' it answered, 'everywhere

❝i held an atlas in my lap, ran my fingers across the whole world and whispered, 'where does it hurt?' it answered, 'everywhere. everywhere. everywhere.'❞

-warson shire, author

KANE, SINCLAIR, AND LINCOLN have been sentenced to death.

After I had been released from lockup, Sinclair and Lincoln had staged a beating in order to distract the guards. Then, as soon as the gate was unlocked, all hell broke loose. The other members of Kane's team — Miller and Harper included — attempted to break them out of prison. Kane then kidnapped Pike, bound him up, and set off to hand him to the Grounders in one of the Rovers. The only person in his way was Bellamy. I assume that if it had been anyone else, he'd have run straight through them.

I could see the fear in Bellamy's eyes when he came to me, begging to speak with me in private. Jasper begrudgingly allowed me to go, muttering that he'd help Raven himself.

I could sense the apprehension on his face as he spilled everything— how he wasn't thinking about the consequences for Kane and the others, that he didn't think Pike would give them such a harsh sentence, and that his only thought at the moment had been preventing another death like Gustus'. How nobody would be there to save Pike from a death of a thousand cuts this time. How the Grounders wouldn't risk another Finn. They still believed in jus drein jus daun.

Blood must have blood. By whatever means necessary.

"You sure this is the right one?" Bellamy questions for the third time, nerves lacing his voice.

"Yes, Bell," I respond again. "I slept here. I think I'd know which room is M— Harper's."

I cut myself off, so used to saying Monroe's name first, and Bellamy and Monty both pretend not to notice. Just like I pretend not to notice the flashes of loss in both of their eyes.

Bellamy and Monty had lied to Hannah in order to protect Miller and Harper. When she'd asked if they knew anyone else in Kane's side, they'd declined. Maybe they've finally begun to realize that Hannah's methods — death at every turn — aren't going to get us anywhere worthwhile.

Bellamy raps his knuckles hurriedly against the door. When there's a tense silence, I wait with baited breath. Please, please, please—

The door opens with a creak, barely exposing Bellamy's face. I can't see Miller's expression, but I hear the disdain in his voice when he quietly asks, "What do you want?"

Bellamy doesn't say a word and instead gestures that he wants to come inside. When Miller begrudgingly steps aside and allows the three of us in, Harper doesn't stop her sigh of distaste at the sight of Monty.

"What, so you're on—"

Bellamy shushes Miller with a finger pressed to his lips. The next moment, he unsheaths the dagger at his hip, causing Miller to instinctively put a hand on his gun and Harper to jump back.