❉| chapter fifteen

❝death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, and it takes, and it takes, and it takes, and we keep on living anyway / we rise and we fall and we break and we make our mistakes / and if there's a reason i'm still alive when every...

❝death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, and it takes, and it takes, and it takes, and we keep on living anyway / we rise and we fall and we break and we make our mistakes / and if there's a reason i'm still alive when everyone who loves me has died, i'm willing to wait for it.❞

-leslie odom jr. (aaron burr), "wait for it", hamilton the musical

WELLS JAHA IS STANDING mere yards away from me. His appearance is achingly familiar. His close-cropped hair, calm physique, and the kindness radiating from him are quick to bring a longing to my chest. Longing for the friendship that could have been but never got the chance to take root before his brutal murder.

Just as I open my mouth to say something, the scenery begins to etch itself into reality. Harsh lines of black appear in the white space around us. An invisible hand draws the outlines of trees, tents, and campfires like a rough sketch before color blooms into view as if watercolor is dripping onto fresh paper. And then, just like that, I'm standing in our old dropship camp. The ground is full of lush grass instead of charred ash and skeletal remains of both Sky People and Grounders alike.

I wonder if Clarke sees her other oldest friend in her dreams as well.

"Wells," I whisper in a somewhat strangled voice that's foreign to my own ears. My eyes flicker to his garments, which are the exact same musky, tan shirt and rugged jeans as he had when he died. I find myself involuntarily glancing at his hand. His fingers are still intact.

"You seemed like you could use some comfort," he responds lightly, a small smile tugging at the edge of his lips. "So we decided to pay you a visit."

I blink away the tears threatening to blur my vision and ask for confirmation, confusion burning in my mind. "We?"

The next instance, other figures appear so quickly that I'm unsure of whether or not they've always been here. Sterling, Myles, Atom, all of the people we lost thus far, come into existence. Gina. And, lastly, Monroe.

Bellamy had told me what happened at the Grounder village— someone had warned Trikru about the threat and given them time to prepare. How Pike's faction had been trapped inside as the Grounders set off poison fog. Monty had tried to drag her out in time, but...

It's hard to stomach that I'd talked to her that morning, unaware that it would be the last time I'd see her face. She'd always been nothing but kind to me. Memories of all the times she'd helped me or given me support flash in my mind like a nostalgic slideshow that brings a sharp pain to my chest. Another one of my friends gone without a goodbye.

"I miss you," I whisper to the ghosts of my companions, finding my throat closing with oncoming sobs. "So much."

"We miss you, too," Gina says with a sad grin. Her brown eyes are shining, springs of curls framing her face messily. Guilt pierces my heart like a needle as she speaks.