❉| chapter twenty-six

❝even the smallest person can change the course of the future

❝even the smallest person can change the course of the future.❞

-j.r.r tolkien, author

OUR PLAIN FAILS MISERABLY. Clarke had barely been able to utter the passphrase before Luna had caught on, successfully taking the Flame from her and holding it hostage until nightfall.

It comes slowly, the wait agonizing, especially now that we know there's no hope of getting through to her. The day drags on and on. Finally, dusk begins to settle and several people arrive to heard us back to the metal rectangle we'd been stowed in upon arrival.

I turn around, squinting to see in the sparse torchlight that lines the path in odd intervals. Octavia, Clarke, Bellamy... "Where did Jasper go?"

"Saying goodbye to his new friend," Octavia replies simply. She probably means the shark girl, whom Jasper had been talking to almost the entire time we've been here. It pleases me that he'd found a friend. However, it leaves an ache in my chest that he'd been happy and now we have to leave her forever.

The rest of the walk is silent. The man leading us unlocks the deadbolt on the door of the container, heaving the heavy thing open and revealing the captain and his crew waiting inside. Do they just hang out there all day?

"Sorry, Cap," Luna says in a surprisingly casual tone— I haven't heard her speak to her own people until now. "We have to take them back." The woman steps forward and tosses a bulky, canvas bag onto the floor of the metal box. Her voice switches back to her formal tone. "Your gear. You'll get your weapons once you land."

One of the crew members roughly shoves Bellamy forward. "Inside."

The captain glances at me expectantly, raising a thick eyebrow. I understand its hidden meaning and walk inside the metal confinement with a sigh. My boots make dull clunking sounds on the floor as I move.

"The Flame?" Clarke asks Luna, who digs it out of her pocket and holds it thoughtfully between her forefinger and thumb.

"Remember, Clarke," the Nightblood says, "a path of violence is a choice."

That's a pretty good motto to live by.

Clarke straightens her chin, eyebrows drawn together as she speaks. "When the choice is fight or die, there is no choice."

Also very true.

Suddenly, one of Luna's crew members rams his elbow into Octavia's cheek and uses the opportunity of her surprise to shove her into the container. Another pushes Clarke inside. Before any of us can properly react, the doors close and I can hear the faint sound of the deadbolt clicking into place.

"They took the Flame. They're locking us in," Octavia gasps in realization.

"Hey!" Clarke shouts, pounding her fists on the door. "What is this?"