❉| chapter twenty-seven

❝i don't want to keep watching people die

❝i don't want to keep watching people die.❞

-scott mccall, teen wolf

LUNA HAD SENT THE Flame back with us, which was as loud and clear as the message could get: she doesn't want anything to do with it.

After we'd woken on the beach in almost the same place we'd fallen unconscious before, we all looked to Clarke for answers. None of us knew where to turn. Unfortunately, neither did she, so we'd unanimously decided to return back to the Rover.

Only, it had been dead. From lack of use and sunlight, the solar-powered vehicle sat motionless where we'd left it. And it still sits there even three hours later.

I busily organize the medical supplies in my pockets. There are more than enough bandages, disinfectant wipes, and strips of gauze to last us a few weeks if none of us get mortally wounded. I house medical tape in another pocket. I'm basically a walking version of Medical, except without the advanced technology and years' worth of experience. Having Abby around would prove to be more useful; a pang blossoms in my chest at her absence. I can only imagine how Clarke is feeling.

Jasper sits boredly on the hood of the car. I wonder how well he's dealing with the loss of Shay, but decide it's better not to ask him in case he lashes out. He's been more civil lately and I'd hate to break the ongoing streak.

"The Rover's almost charged," Bellamy informs us. His legs are beside me, the top half of him disappearing out of view as he checks the battery level on top of the vehicle. "We need to pack up. We'll be home soon."

"Then what?" Clarke asks from where she restlessly paces outside. Her voice is laced with impatience and anxiety, a result of our failed mission to recruit Luna. Our futures are looking grim and she's been carrying the weight of the Flame on her shoulders for far too long. "Run away?"

"We're not running away, Clarke," Bellamy retorts as he hops down and slams the door shut, his voice turning muffled now that the only opening is the back door. "We need to regroup with the others and find another way to defeat—"

"There is no other way!" she exclaims. "We need to find a Nightblood."

Octavia climbs out of the back and shuts the door behind her, effectively cutting me off from the rest of the conversation. I sigh and finish placing all of my supplies back into my pockets. I miss my notebook— the one I used to write in constantly when I was bored or in need of something to busy my hands with. It's back in Arkadia. Maybe, once we go back, I can retrieve it.

I untangle my legs and open the passenger-side door. My rear end feels numb from how long I'd been sitting, but I ignore it as I hop down to the uneven grass just in time to tune into Octavia's side of the argument.

"—won't help you destroy another innocent Grounder village," she says firmly to Clarke, eyebrows drawn closely and mouth pulled into a scowl.

Obviously, there are things I have missed, an ancient feud between them that never simmered down. Maybe it had transpired while I'd been in Mount Weather. Judging by the confusion on both Jasper and Bellamy's faces, that's probably the case.