Chapter 3

The second day of school was over. Molly gathered her things from her locker and headed for the front door. When she reached the front desk she saw her dad standing there casually talking to the woman behind it. He turned and saw her.

“Oh, there she is!” he smiled his crooked smile. Molly walked faster and gave her dad a hug.

“Hey dad! What are you doing here? I thought Mom was going to pick me up.”

“I was just saying hi to a few old friends. Common kiddo, let’s head out.”

Molly and her dad had an unusually good relationship. Better than most teenagers and their parents. As Molly and her dad walked on the side walk heading towards his truck she started to tell him about the day that she had and some funny things that a couple kids did in some of her classes.  He stopped for a second to talk to one of the staff members.

“Go on to the truck…I’ll be right there.” He said. Molly obeyed and went to the truck. It was such a pleasant surprise to have her dad pick her up from school that day considering she really only saw him for dinner on the weekdays. Every other second of the day he was at work.

She patiently waited for a couple of minutes then saw her dad making his way to the truck. He opened the passenger door with a grim look on his face. She turned in her seat to face him.

He took a deep breath and worked his jaw, like he always did when he was upset. “What’s wrong, Dad?”

“We’re leaving for Ohio in the morning. Aunt Charlene died.”

Molly sat there, frozen in disbelief. Had it not been just a month ago the she was visiting her great-aunt and cousins in Ohio and she was healthier than ever?

Before she could even think, she hugged her dad tight. She knew that Aunt Charlene had played a big role in the molding and shaping of the man that she had the pleasure of calling her father.

Her dad squeezed her and pulled away. He closed the passenger door and walked around the truck and got in.

While he was walking around the truck to get in Molly felt the lump forming in her throat and she felt the hot, salty tears welling up in her eyes. She tried to blink them back, she hated crying in front of her dad, but the tears poured out of her eyes. She bit her lip and turned her head, looking out the window. She hoped that no one would notice her as they drove out of the school parking lot.

They drove for a couple minutes in silence. Molly’s nose was beginning to stuff up but she didn’t want to ask for a tissue because it would make it obvious to her dad that she was crying.

Her dad leaned over and held her hand. “Would a little Dairy Queen make you feel better?” he asked. Molly couldn’t help but smile. She nodded a yes.

As they walked into the small ice cream shop Molly hid behind her dad so that the cashier couldn’t see her red, puffy, tear stained face.

Her dad ordered her her favorite blizzard and they sat down and ate in silence.

She got about halfway done with her ice cream before having a loss of appetite and pushing it to the middle of the table. Her dad sat in the seat across from her hunched over forlornly with his fore arms on his thighs and his hands dangling by his knees. He just sat there, working his jaw.

When he noticed that she was done with her ice cream he got up and said, “Come on sweet pea, let’s go home. Your mom will be wondering where we are and we need to get packing.”