Chapter 3 - A New Someone

Paul's POV

      I was completely furious, if that's what you could call it. I was beyond angry. I could have ripped Jacob apart limb by limb for what just happened. I was sure he had imprinted and on Danielle. I would've have exploded if it wasn't for Sam ordering me to cool it. He's the alpha so I had to obey. I'm sure Danielle could see that I was angry but we waited until she had walked away before Sam and I talked to Jacob. Sam stood in front of me, I think more to protect Jacob from me then anything. "Jacob, what was that back there with Danielle?" Sam asked calmly. I glared at Jake, waiting for his answer. "When I saw her, it was like the wind was knocked out of me. She was all that was important and I just wanted to protect her. I think I imp-" he stated but I cut him off. "Don't you dare say imprint Black. I could hurt you. She just got here and you imprint on her?!" I exclaim, feeling the anger boiling inside me.

     I admit, I didn't know the real reason Danielle was here but I'm sure she doesn't need this right now. "Paul, you know very well that its instinct and that he can't help it," Sam said putting a hand on my shoulder which slowed the trimmering down a little. "I'm sorry Paul, I didn't know that this would happen but I promise that I'll never hurt her," Jacob stated taking a step toward me. "Good because if you do, I will kill you," I spit with as much venom as possible to get my point across. Jacob just nods and Sam pats my shoulder. I liked Jacob and he was a good guy but if Danielle was ever hurt, I won't hesitate to keep my promise. I see Embry approach our group from behind Jacob. "What do you want Em?" I call causing Jacob and Sam to look at him. "I just didn't know if Dani left or not cause I don't see her," he replied coming to a stop in front of the three of us.

     Panic immediately set in. I scanned the group by the fire and Embry was right. Danielle was nowhere to be found. I was almost prepared to start a search party when I saw her figure sitting down the beach. I start to walk to her when I feel someone stop me. I turn to see Jacob's hand was on my shoulder. "Let me talk to her ok," he states. I contemplate it for a minute but then just nod and watch him walk toward my cousin.

Danielle's POV

     I sat in silence letting my mind wonder to my family, friends and problems until I heard someone approaching. I turn my head to see that Jacob guy walking up. My heartbeat sped up a little. I don't know why he had such an effect on me but I kind of like it. What am I thinking? I don't even know this kid. "May I sit?" he asks after stopping beside me. I nod then turn back to look at the water.

     He plops down beside me. "So you're the Danielle Paul has been talking about for the last week," Jake states. I glance at him sideways. He was looking out at the water as I had been and the moonlight hit him perfectly. It made his features stand out and made him seem at peace. Not to mention that he smelled really good. He was even more attractive now as he had been earlier...if that was possible. I guess he caught me looking because he smiled and looked at me. "Call me Dani and hopefully Paul said good things," I say smiling back. "Oh definitely," Jacob replied. He seemed to scrunch his face, possibly frustrated that he left it out that whatever Paul said was good. It was cute and made me let out a small laugh which only caused him to smile a heartwarming smile in return.

       We sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes just looking at the waves. I could feel the body heat radiating off him. It beckoned me to scoot closer to him but I resisted. "So why did you move here so late in the school year? I mean we only have a month left," Jacob asks breaking the silence and looking at me again. I immediately picture Aaron and the stuff I had endured because of him. I tense up and take a sharp intake of breath. Jacob must have noticed and his face changes to concern instantly. "If it makes you uncomfortable, I -" he begins but I interrupt him. "No, no, um...it's ok. Let's just say I was in trouble and needed to get out of there," I state hoping he wouldn't pry. I kept my eyes on the sand. To my appreciation, he nods and leaves it at that, still looking at me.

     "So why you out here by yourself?" Jacob questions pulling his legs to his chest. "Just felt out of place I guess. I mean you're all so close and I'm just a stranger," I reply now meeting his gaze. "You know we'll accept you. We aren't the type to turn away someone just because they're new," he says holding eye cointact. "Thanks," I reply with a smile and break eye contact, feeling myself blush. Thank goodness it was dark so Jacob hopefully didn't see. "Dani, time to go!" I hear Paul yell from the fire. I could see his outline looking over at Jake and me. "Well, I guess I better go," I exclaim. Jacob stands and extends his hands to help me up. I gladly take them.

      The warmth of his skin feels good against mine. "Hope to see you soon Jacob," I speak, shaking his hand. I found myself really wishing it was sooner rather then later. I liked his company. It was relaxing and he was easy to be around. "Don't worry, I'll be around," he replies letting go of my hand. I craved the warmth once it was gone. I turn to walk back up the beach and look back at Jacob. He stood in the spot I left him and smiled at me. I smile in return and give him a little wave before pushing through the sand to reach Paul. What a night.