Chapter 8 - Aaron

Ok everyone, here's the chapter! We all get to learn about Aaron and why Dani had to move. Hope everyone enjoys it! :)

**************************************************************************************************************

     His name is Aaron Gates. I had no idea who he was until the eighth grade where whether by chance or unfortunate circumstances, we both landed in the same class. He was confident, cocky, athletic, and the guy all the girls drooled over. All the girls that is except me. I suppose that's why he became so interested. I was the girl that was hard to figure out and wasn't hanging on his every word. I never even talked to him until our teacher partnered us up for a project. He'd tried to be smooth and I would just ignore him.

      Eventually we made some sort of connection. We hung out after school, went to the movies, and the basics of a friendship. It wasn't until the nineth grade that he actually asked me out. Those days had been some of the best. He was incredibly sweet and funny. He would walk me to every class, kiss me before we parted, held the door open whenever we went anywhere, and gave me flowers just because he felt like it. He had been the perfect boyfriend and I was hooked. We were the couple everyone aspired to be. The next year was pure bliss. We barely ever fought.

       It wasn't until the middle of my junior year that things began to change and not for the better. He became very possessive of me. I didn't like it. I wasn't a girlfriend anymore, I was like property. I couldn't hang out with my friends, I had to go to the parties he wanted to attend, and I had no control over my own life. He forced me to drink and party when I don't even like alcohol. If I ever did anything that he didn't like, it'd be hell. He'd abuse me in every sense of the word except sexually. He'd hit me but made sure it was in a place easily covered so no one would ask questions. I could have sworn he broke a rib one time. I was slowly falling into a deep depression. I didn't sleep. I didn't eat. On the outside I kept a happy appearance but on the inside I was screaming.

       My perfect relationship had dissolved into one that was abusive and controlling. My parents started to notice the differences in me. I lost a lot of weight, my skin was paler then normal, and my face looked a little caved in. They tried to step in and figure out what was wrong but I refused to let them in. I assured them everything was fine with me and Aaron. I tried to assure myself I could handle it but it was increasingly spinning out of control.

      It finally boiled over near the beginning of senior year. I had been over at Aaron's house and he had been drinking. His parents were both alcoholics and were already passed out. We were sitting on the couch and he started kissing on me. I told him to stop but he just wouldn't listen. I pushed him off to stand up and he didn't like that. He slapped me...hard. I fell to the floor where he got on top of me. I started to scream as he tried to force himself on me. Touching me. Kissing me. He tore at my shirt, pulled at my pants, and kissed me with no love. I squirmed with everything I had. I finally got a good swing and hit him right in the jaw. He fell backwards and I scrambled out of the house. The night air was chilly and since he had picked me up, I was forced to walk home. I was probably a sight. Disheveled hair, torn clothes, and me crying.

       When I got home, I didn't make it past the front door. I crumbled once I closed the door. My parents came running, asking me what was wrong. I broke and told them everything. The abuse, Aaron trying to force himself on me, everything spilled from the years. I was crying, my mom was crying, and my dad wanted to call the police. I begged him not to though. Aaron was a tough guy and I was afraid he'd hurt my parents if they callled the cops. The next few days, I avoided him like the plague. My mom kept me out of school to make sure he was nowhere near me. Aaron tried to call but I would ignore them. He tried to text me but I immediately erased them as soon as I got them. My anxiety was through the roof. I was always looking over my shoulder, scared that Aaron would be there. I could only avoid him for so long.

      One night while we were asleep, Aaron broke into the house through my bedroom window. "You think you can just leave me!" he had yelled while hitting me repeatedly. I screamed bloody murder and my parents bust through my door. My dad tackled him, taking him down, as my mom called the cops. He was taken away in handcuffs and as he was escorted away, he said, "Don't think this is over. Not by a long shot Dani." The next day we called my aunt in Canada and Paul. We left immediately. We spoke to no one. Not a single person knew where we were going. It was a precaution incase Aaron came looking for me after he was released from his jail cell three days later. I can't call anyone back home for fear Aaron will find me. I can't risk that. Not after befriending all the people here in La Push. I would never forgive myself if anything ever happened to them because of me.

      Once I finished me story, everyone was silent. The only sound was the breathing from everyone and some sniffs. Emily and Kim had tears running down their faces as well as mine. I hadn't realized I was crying. All of them stared at me, letting the story fully sink in. The quiet was broken when Jacob started trembling and Sam told him to calm down. "Ahh!" Jacob screamed storming out of the front door. My head dropped to look at the floor. Was he mad at me? "I'm so sorry Dani," Emily said getting up to wrap me in a big hug. Kim joined in on the hug too. "Don't worry Danielle, you won't ever go through that again," Paul said kissing me on the top of the head.

     The guys stayed around awhile longer to make sure I was ok then left one by one. The clock read ten-thirty by the time everyone was gone. I sighed as I sat on the edge of my bed. Everyone knew my secret past now and why I was here. Hopefully they wouldn't treat me different or hold it against me. Hopefully Jacob wouldn't hold it against me. I don't want anyone's sympathy. I just want it to be like I never told them. I got up to close the curtains on my window when I noticed something. There was a figure sitting on our bench swing in the backyard. It was Jacob. He must have been sitting there since he left. I had to talk to him.

      I carefully sneaked past the living room where Paul was watching tv. I thought I was quiet but obviously I'm not sneaky enough. "Where are you going?" I hear Paul ask. "Outside, Jacob's still out there," I reply. No point in lying. Before he responds, I go out the back door. As I walk up, Jacob doesn't move. "Hey Jacob," I say sitting beside him on the swing. He remains quiet with his head in his hands. "Listen Jacob, I'm sorry if I made you upset about the story," I begin. Jacob's head shoots up at my words. "No Danielle, I'm not mad at you. I was mad that you had to go through that. I mean how could anyone do that?" he stated shaking a little. He stands up and paces in front of me. I let him calm down before speaking. "It just happened Jacob, but that's my past. I don't want you to be upset about something you can't change," I exclaim, standing to place my hand on his arm. He lets out a breath. "I know. I'm sorry I'm getting so worked up. I just can't bare thinking of something bad happening to you. You're too special," he said looking down at me.

       My breath catches in my throat. Did he just say I'm special? I smile at him. I now realize how close our bodies are. I hadn't felt so safe since.....well ever. I see Jacob start leaning down. The idea of Jacob kissing me flashes through my mind. I want him too. I wanted to feel his warm lips on mine. I don't know what was coming over me. We were mere inches apart when, "Danielle, it's time to come in!" Stupid Paul had to ruin it. Jacob and I both let out a little laugh. "I'll see you tomorrow I guess," I say softly giving him a smile. "Count on it," he replied with a heartstopping smile. I could feel the butterflies move in my stomach.

     I turn and start walking to the house. Halfway there I turn to sy something else to Jacob, but when I look, he was gone. Man, he was fast. I continue the trudge back to my house, seeing Paul standing in the doorway. Boy, would he get it one day for this little incident. Just wait Paul, I think as I walk into the house.