Chapter 11 - Decisions

I didn't sleep much that night. I kept having nightmares every time I closed my eyes. Nightmares of wolves chasing me, replaying Jacob's transformation with his bones breaking, and the worst one was of Jacob never talking to me again and him being killed before I could ever apologize. I sat up in bed, breathing heavy and sweat dripping of my shaken body. I looked around my room hoping maybe Jacob had come to try to talk to me but no such luck. I ran a shaky hand through my hand, slowing down my racing heart. The sky outside my window was grey with a coming storm.

      There was a light knock at the door. I quickly fix myself just incase its Jacob. "Come in," I call. Paul walked in the door and my heart sank a little. "Hey Dani. I thought you'd be hungry so I brought you some lunch," he said placing a sandwich and soda on my nightstand. I hadn't even realized it was already noon. I wasn't really hungry but I opened the soda and took a long drink. I tore off a piece of my sandwich and popped it in my mouth just to satisfy Paul. "Thanks," I say looking at my hands. I felt bad for what went down last night but I didn't know if Paul had forgiven me.

       Paul sighed and sat down on the bed next to me. "Listen Danielle, I'm sorry that all this was sprung on you at once. I didn't mean to yell at you last night. It was unfair that I was angry because you didn't understand. It's just--" he exclaimed but I touched his shoulder and pulled him into a hug. He gladly returned it. "Paul," I began pulling back to look at him, "I should be the one to apologize. I blew up because I was scared and confused about you guys being..being wolves. It's not your fault you are this way and now I understand that." He let out a little laugh that caught me by surprise.

      That was an unexpected reaction. "What?" I ask pushing him a liitle but considering he's a shapeshifter, he didn't budge. "Well I came up here thinking that I'd be yelled at and a door slammed in my face but instead you apologize. I swear you surprise me sometimes," he stated. I smiled. The fact that he was laughing meant that he had forgiven me. However, my face fell and I sighed. He wasn't the only one I needed to tell I'm sorry. Paul must have noticed my change in demeanor. "What's wrong cuz?" he asked. "I'm glad you're understanding but now I'm afraid that I've completely screwed things up with Jacob. I just left him after he told me his biggest secret and that he loved me. He didn't leave after he found out about Aaron. He probably won't ever talk to me again," I reply putting my head in my hands, feeling the familiar burn of tears building in my eyes. "Dani, Jacob loves you more then anything. Imprinting is really strong and hits fast. There's nothing that he wouldn't do for you. He'd gladly risk his life for you. Do you love him?" Paul said causing me to look at him.

     Did I love Jacob? Could I really live in this supernatural world with him? I finally admitted to myself what my heart felt. "Yes, as crazy as that sounds, I do love him. I love hanging out with him. I'm just scared that I've messed it all up now. How could he forgive me after last night?" I exclaim standing from my bed and looking out the window. It was slowly starting to rain. "Danielle, you're a smart girl but you don't listen well," Paul replied. I turned to look at him, wondering where he was going with this. "He loves you and that will never change. Go talk to him," Paul declared, standing as well. I smile and run to give him another hug. "Thanks Paul, you're the best cousin I could ask for," I say. "I know. Now go," he stated releasing me and heading to the door. Before he left though, he turned and walked back in. "Since you aren't going to eat it," he said grabbing my little touched sandwich and then leaving.

      I shook my head at him before quickly slipping on a hoodie over my tank top and a pair of jeans on. I pulled on my sandals and bounded down the stairs, calling a goddbye to Paul. It was pouring outside now as I ran to Paul's truck. I started the truck and drove it out on the road. My heart was beating fast as my mind reeled. What was I going to say to Jacob? I wasn't totally sure as I drove faster towards his house.

Jacob's POV

      I can't believe this is happening to me. First Bella chooses a leech over me. That was bad but it held no comparison to the heartbreak I was now feeling. The look on Danielle's face had killed me. She was scared and confused. I hadn't made it any better by springing the whole imprinting thing on her. I could have told her in a better way and not all at once. My heart was crumbling bit by bit after she ran away from me crying. "I'm so stupid!" I say in my head as I patrolled the woods.

     The sun was high over head, peeking through the crowds, signaling that it was close to noon. Clouds were rolling in heavy telling me a storm was close. "Don't be so hard on yourself Jake. She'll come around," Embry voice entering into my mind as his wolf form came up beside me. "Yeah man, no one's ever resisted imprinting," Quil thought popped into my mind. "I hope you guys are right," I sighed. "Go home Jake. You look beat," Embry said. "Ok, I'll see you guys later," I reply after a couple of minutes. I really didn't feel like being alone with my thoughts but I agreed anyway. "See ya," they both say in unison.

       I trotted home as the rain started to pour. Great, I thought as I picked up my pace. Once I reached the edge of the woods near my house, I changed and put on my jean shorts. The rain was cold as it hit me walking from the woods. As I walked, I saw Paul's truck pull up and someone get out. Maybe it was Paul coming to update me on Dani. He had talked to me last night. He told me that she had completely freaked out on him andshut herself inher bedroom. Hopefully he brought me some better news. I focused on the person to try tosee who it is. That's when I realize. It was Danielle.

      I stopped in my tracks, not caring about the rain anymore. I was halfway to my house. The rain had already soaked her to the bone but she still looked beautiful. I wanted to run and wrap her in my arms. Tell her I'm sorry and that I love her but I don't. Coward, I think to myself but then I hear her voice. "Jacob!" she yelled and ran toward me. Her voice sounded so sweet and I wouldn't deny her again. I began to run to her, the rain and mud barely a factor. I was ready to listen to what she'd have to say. Hopefully, it's nothing bad.