Chapter 22 - Waiting for a Smile

Jacob's POV

      I saw Dani fall unconscious by Aaron's hand. Before he could inflict anymore damage, I sprung to my feet despite my pain. I charged the leech whose whole purpose for being here was to hurt the love of my life. My imprint. Over my dead body. Red clouded my vision as I tackled him. His grip released and Dani fell to the floor out of the way of us. The sound when she hit the ground was a sickening thud. It took everything in my being not to phase and run to her aid. I had to deal with Aaron first. I couldn't let him get away...not now. "It's ok Jake. Focus and take care of Aaron. We're almost done out here," Sam's voice reverberated in my mind. I sent a thought to Edward to get the doc in here for Danielle. I knew he heard me so I continued the fight. I tried to not let my mind worry about Dani but it was easier said then done.

       He was fast, I'll give him that, but there was no way in hell I was letting him defeat me. I quickly bit down on his arm and with a twist of my head, it snapped off like glass breaking. He let out a yell but it was silenced within seconds because while he was distracted by his pain, I jumped on him. I tore at his head until it finally came and I spit his head out. My breathing was heavy as others appeared in the house. Sam took the now dead Aaron to the fire they had set to make sure the other vampires would never reek havic again. I phased back, slipping on my shorts before approaching the group forming around Dani.

      Everyone was back in human form and the Cullens stayed far away except for Carlisle because of Dani's blood. Once I reached her side, my stomach lurched. I had to keep control so I swallowed the bile that threatened to rise from my throat. Paul was hunched over his cousin where she lay on the floor. Cuts were visible on several parts of her body. Blood seeped from a severe cut in her right thigh. Carlisle was trying to control the bleeding, but it looked like he was having a hard time with it. She laid calm and eeriely still, only the slow rise and fall of her chest giving us a sign she was alive. Carlisle had already set her arm that I guess had been broken by that damn bloodsucker. I fell to my knees beside Paul, trying to hold back the sting that ensued as I looked at Dani's broken and bruised body. Aaron had done this to her and I hadn't stopped him in time. I had promised her that Aaron wouldn't hurt her. I had given her my word that I would protect her. Now here she was, suffering because I had failed...because I didn't hold up my promise to her. I couldn't help the tear that slid down my cheek at the thought of not having her with me.

       "Jacob," Carlisle spoke softly. I glanced up at him, not caring that he saw my teary eyes. "She's going to be alright. Just give her time to heal," he said kindly. Paul pat me on the back before asking, "When will she wake up?" The rest of the pack and the Cullens shuffled around, helpiing clean up and trying to give us as much privacy as super-hearing vampires and werewolves could give. Carlisle dropped his head to look at Danielle's body before shaking his head. "I can't be sure. She's lost a lot of blood and I'm sure the pain is unrelenting. I'd give it a day or two," he replied trying to make it as positive as one could. My heart almost stopped completely at the news. I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I felt like collapsing around me. Like it was sand slipping through my fingers and I couldn't do anything about it. As long as it takes, I'd sit by Danielle's side until she awoke. And as Paul picked her up carefully in his arms, I knew it was a promise I would keep.

      So there I sat. Beside Dani's unmoving body, my chair was firmly planted. The seconds turned to minutes, minutes into hours. The day and night merged into one endless wait. I waited for anything. Her eyes to flutter open, a tightened grip on my hand, a heartwarming smile that got me everytime...anything that would tell me she was ok. Pack members came and went. The Cullens even stopped by once when Calisle came to check her progress. Paul stayed with me a lot of the time but even he gave into sleep and hunger. I, however, didn't move. No matter the pleas or reasoning I received from the others, I wasn't going to leave Dani's side. The moon had risen on the second night. I was on edge all day. Carlisle had guessed two days but as the hours went by I doubted him further.

      "Dani, I don't know if you can hear me but I want you to know how sorry I am that you're like this now. I should've stayed with you in the Cullen's house to make sure you were safe," I stated, tears streaming down my cheeks, angry at myself and wanting my girl back. "I love you so much," I say dropping my head in my hands to pull myself together. The other pack members were used to seeing me upset at this point. They all were sympathetic and I was grateful to have that support system.

      Then I heard a commotion from downstairs in the living room. "Where is she Paul? Is she ok?" I heard a woman ask frantically. "She's up in her room but she hasn't woken up yet," Paul replied solemnly. Footsteps followed after that as two people burst in the room. I let out a slight growl at them, feeling protective of Dani. A man and a woman stood in the doorway looking around the dim room until their eyes landed on me. "Who are you people?" I questioned standing inbetween them and Danielle's bed. "We're Danielle's parents! Who are you?" the man answered defensively. I completely relaxed and felt a little embarrassed at my behavior. I looked over them closely and I could definitely see the resemblance. "Oh, I'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. I'm, uh, Jacob Black," I replied nervously. "And you know our Dani?" her mom exclaimed. "Yeah...I'm her boyfriend," I nodded and watched their expressions. They seemed surpirse but I could understand after what Dani had been through the past year. Way to make a great first impression, I thought mentally slapping myself in the head. "Oh, well it's nice to meet you Jacob," Danielle's dad said. "Thank you for helping look after our daughter," her mom said with a weak smile. I just nod because I didn't know what else to say. Danielle's parents made their way to the bedside and each took one of her hands. I took it as a cue to leave the room even though it brought me a great deal of pain to separate from her side. I closed the door quietly behind me and rubbed the back of my neck.

       I slowly made my way down the stairs and slumped next to Sam on the couch. "Any changes?" Seth pushed for information. I glanced around the room to see everyone's undivided attention was given to me. "No, she is still the same," I sighed laying my head back on the top of the couch. "It'll be fine Jake and I'm sorry about the whole parent situation. I figured they needed to know so I called them," Paul said from where he leaned on the wall. I waved off the apology. "No need to apologize man. You did the right thing," I say. Everyone fell silent as we listened to Danielle's mother crying upstairs and her dad making cooing sounds. My ears strained for any sound from Dani but as I sat there looking at the ceiling, my eyes unwilling closed sending me into dreams of Dani's smiling face.