Ch 6

DEREK POV

-------
When I woke up, it was to a text alert late in the day -4:30 actually- on Wednesday. All of us  were pretty tired from the emotional evening, so it's no surprise that  we slept late, but it was from Scott: an emergency pack meeting. I knew  that neither Isaac nor I were going to leave Stiles to go, and Stiles  wouldn't go to a pack meeting, so I just ignored it and buried my nose  in the short length of Stiles' hair.

"D'rek..."

"Yeah Stiles?"

"Move your ass would ya?  I gotta pee and Isaac's stomach is growling in his sleep." I didn't  hesitate to simply pick Stiles up and move him towards the bathroom.

"Isaac, you remember  that breakfast dish we've been working on." I heard the blond snuffle in  a sleepy response. "Well I think it would be good practice to see if  Stiles would like it." There was no need to look back into the room as I  entered the bathroom to know that Isaac had clambered quickly out of  the twin bed and rushed downstairs to start on breakfast.

Meanwhile, I  simply took stock of my surroundings. I could hear three heartbeats  other than my own, meaning the Sheriff came back this morning and is  still asleep, or would have still been had Isaac not stomped down the  stairs. Standing up, I grabbed a shirt and a clean pair of jeans from  Stiles' closet and set them no the bathroom counter, not looking over at  Stiles purely to give him some illusion of privacy.

"Take a shower  while you're in here, me and Isaac have breakfast covered so take your  time." He simply grunted. Normally the spastic teen would have squeaked  and flailed himself into a possible injury and hit the floor, but I  think he was far too exhausted to even be startled at my  "sneaky-ninja-wolf" announcement. It made me want to whine in the most  pathetic ways because I wish there was something I could do to take all  that hurt away.

So as I walked down the  stairs, the Sheriff's bedroom door opened and I waved over my shoulder  to repeat my announcement that breakfast was well underway, not caring  to gain an answer as I walked into the kitchen.

"So Derek, it was cilantro that you normally put into the scrambled eggs right?"

"No," Reaching into the cabinet past Isaac's reach, I grabbed the small container of Dill and  showed it to him, "Dill, but don't forget the shredded tortilla bits and  corn, those are meant to go in it, not on the side like a breakfast  burrito." Isaac just nodded as he worked on whisking the Dill into the  eggs in the ceramic bowl he was using as I pulled the pancake batter out  of the cabinet and reached across the counter for the half-gallon  container of milk, pouring it into Isaac's bowl to ensure that the eggs were nice and fluffy.

Scrambled eggs, made my  mom's way, and cinnamon and brown sugar pancakes for breakfast with a  kale and strawberry smoothie Isaac started on after finishing the  scrambled eggs and covering them in tin foil to keep them warm for the  Stilinskis.

Ten minutes later and  the food was ready; six pancakes set aside that I knew the Sheriff and  Stiles would collectively polish off and another twelve that me and  Isaac would split. After this, I'd have to go shopping in order to  refill their fridge, but I couldn't complain, Stiles deserved to be  treated well, both him and the Sheriff did. Those two have probably the  most difficult jobs out of anyone in the entire damn town and they  deserve to be reminded that there are people around that remember that  and care about them.

"Hale!" I looked up from  where my eyes had drifted to gaze at floor to see a slightly agitated  John Stilinski about a foot away from me.

"Sorry, you were saying something?" God I sounded like a fucking idiot.

"Yes. Can I ask why food  for myself was necessary in 'Operation: Fix-The-Baby-Stilinski'?" Wow,  now I see where Stiles gets it... Then Isaac piped up over my shoulder  from where he was washing the pans and utensils we'd been using.

"Figured you could use  some special treatment after working so hard lately Sheriff, I know that  the blood nymph was a bitch to deal with paperwork wise."

"You could say that again. Now I have one more question," John looked me dead in the eye,  like he would rather murder me than anything. It honestly made me flush  in terror, my wolf felt like it wanted to either submit out of fear or  run off with it's tail between it's legs. But then as he spoke, his face  changed into a sarcastic pout that put Stiles' to shame and continued,  "Why the hell did you not make bacon? If I'm getting treated for cleaning up your messes then why don't I get heartburn for breakfast?"

The change of pace made me chuckle as I pulled a chair out from the table and motioned for the Sheriff to sit.

"I'll make sure to get some when I run to the store later. I'll make you a salad and throw some  bacon crumbles in it so that Stiles can't yell at you for eating crappy food." The whole-hearted laugh that erupted from the older Stilinski  warmed my heart in a way that I haven't felt since before the fire, when  my little cousins would laugh at cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Shaking my head, I pulled myself out of that memory and grabbed the plate I'd set up for John and his smoothie that was waiting for him in the fridge.

"What's this about you giving my father crap food Sourwolf?" Having been preoccupied with caring for his dad, I hadn't noticed that Stiles had come down the stairs not wearing the clothes that I set aside for him, but the jeans I had pitched in to help buy him last year for his birthday, a shirt he'd stolen from my closet after his had been ripped to shreds by tiny Pokemon-like creatures, and some hand-me-down camouflage-green converse he wouldn't shut up about buying when the pack took a trip to Salvation Army for Halloween costumes last year.

Seeing all that put together along with his signature red hoodie made my heart skip and melt all at once.

Mate... Our beautiful mate!

Shaking my head, I just chuckle and grab Stiles' plate out of the microwave where I'd set it to keep it warm and set it on the table.

"I promised your father bacon crumbles on his salad today since I'd forgotten to make some for your technical 'early brinner'. figured he could use something nice for once."

"... Fair point but if he's getting bacon then-"

"No Stiles, if you're dad is getting bacon I'm not getting him turkey bacon, he's getting the real thing because he deserves it." Stiles just pouted at my response while John broke out in a smile around the fork in his mouth. If he were a wolf, I have no doubt he'd being whining and yipping in absolute joy.

This is all I need. My family.

.... Well, not mine yet.
-----
Hey look, a cliffhanger! Won't be updating for a while so I hope you'll love me more when I come back to this in a few weeks! I'm looking for some possible dramatic branch offs so if anyone has a hunch of what could go wrong, message me or comment your opinion on how the story should continue!