Four

They drove for almost an hour before Terrence parked the truck. Ivy climbed out, relieved to stretch her legs, and looked around. They were in a deserted parking lot, just a short distance from the ocean. A path led through patchy grass to a worn down pier where a small motor boat waited.

The setting sun cast an orange light over the area. Ivy shuddered at the sound of waves pounding the beach. Great. She thought she might be able to handle boarding a ship, but as she stood there breathing in the salty air, she began to have second thoughts.

"Sorry for the long ride," Spencer said as he climbed out of the truck. He ran a hand through his dark curly hair. "We had to stay out of Scorpion's way."

"You guys must be exhausted," Summer added, hopping out of the vehicle behind Terrence. "Once we're on the Fortuna, you'll be able to get some rest."

Ivy swallowed and threw a nervous glance at the water. You can do this, she told herself. She needed to start somewhere if she wanted to conquer her fear, right?

"I suppose introductions are in order," Spencer said. "That's the girl in charge, Summer Lu, this is Terrence Manning, and I'm the lovable Spencer Cross. But you already knew that."

Claire giggled, and Ivy managed a quick smile. "Ivy Ackerman," she said.

"Oh, um." Claire folded her arms. "I'm Claire Foster."

Then their feet were pounding against the wood of the dock dock and Ivy's stomach was doing somersaults. Terrence climbed into the boat first.

"Well, water you guys waiting for?" Spencer asked, pointing at the boat.

Summer rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on her face. "Spencer, please. I'm sure these girls are tired enough without your jokes."

"It's not a joke, it's a pun," Spencer replied. "Okay, I'll admit it wasn't great."

"It was terrible."

"I wouldn't say that."

"I thought it was funny," Ivy said, trying to distract herself as she prepared to climb in. She was vaguely aware of Claire nodding in agreement as she focused on moving her feet, climbing into the boat, keeping her eyes away from the water. Once everyone was in, Terrence started up the engine and backed away from the dock.

Ivy studied the others. Spencer was nice, she thought, as he said something that made Claire laugh. Summer, who was easily the tallest of the group, didn't seem so bad either. Terrence had barely spoken at all, and Ivy couldn't tell if he was shy or just a quiet kid in general. The wind rustled his dirty blonde hair as he adjusted the steering wheel.

They were approaching a massive ship. Granted, Ivy didn't have anything to compare it too, but it looked pretty big to her. She moved in her seat to get a closer look at the dark gray vessel. A deck wrapped around the side, and as they reached the ship a few people appeared by the railing.

The boat slowed down, and Ivy was hit with a spray of water. She flinched and quickly wiped the droplets off her skin.

"You all right?" Claire asked quietly.

Ivy nodded. "Not a big fan of water," she replied. "But I'm fine."

The crew on deck lowered some ropes. As the thick cords reached them, Spencer, Summer and Terrence quickly hooked up the boat. Then they were going up. When they boarded the ship, a man who looked to be in his forties was waiting for them.

"Thank goodness," he said as Ivy and the others climbed out of the boat. "I was afraid you'd be too late."

Summer stepped forward and gestured to Ivy and Claire. "Dr. Newman, this is—"