Twenty-Three

"The intruder got away?" Ash asked. "Who was it? One of Dr. Newman's?"

"I don't think so," Claudia said. "But I can't be sure."

"What did they look like?"

"Don't worry about it," Claudia snapped. "We have bigger problems. Like Operation Black Knight. Ivy and her friends escaped with some of our plans."

"How much do they know?" Ash asked as he followed Claudia into the lab. A few technicians were gathered around one of the new soldiers, inspecting its control panel.

"More than we wanted, but it's no matter," Claudia answered. "They don't know about Stage One. If we initiate Stage Two fast enough, it'll be impossible for them to stop us. And most of the Supers will still be recovering from our attack."

"They have the list, though," Ash pointed out. "If they can recruit—"

"They won't," Claudia cut him off. Ash scowled, but didn't say anything. "We'll move out early," Claudia continued. "One month, tops."

"Early? What about our agents? We don't want them to be compromised, do we?"

"Don't worry about them."

The door to the lab opened and Wren walked in. Ash glared at her, but she ignored him. She'd been acting like she owned the place since her last mission's success.

"You asked to see me?" Wren said as she approached.

"Yes," Claudia answered. "We're moving forward with Black Knight. Soon. Get your team together and start training. Tell Hestia to get hers ready, too."

"Of course," Wren said. Ash wondered if she, too, was questioning Claudia's decision. They hadn't been expecting to do anything for at least two months. "What about Ash?"

"He'll be along in a few minutes," Claudia replied. "Now go."

Wren nodded and hurried out of the lab. As she left, Rosa Rivera looked up from the soldier she was working on.

"That's Miss Cartwright, correct?" Rivera asked.

Claudia gave the scientist a stern look. "I know what you're thinking. Not now." Rivera raised an eyebrow and returned to her work.

"What was that about?" Ash asked.

"Nothing important," Claudia replied.

She said that a lot. Ash hesitated, wanting to know more, but something told him not to press it. He could stand up to Claudia, but there were limits to what she would tolerate.

Claudia narrowed her eyes. "Go get your team ready."

Ash moved to leave, but paused. "We're attacking so early. Do we have enough soldiers?"

"We will," Claudia said. "Now go."

Biting his tongue, Ash nodded and did as she asked.

~

Ivy winced as the gun went off in her hand. The bullet missed her target, instead sailing over the edge of the deck and into the ocean. She sighed.

"What's the point?" she muttered.

"It's a good thing to learn," Summer said. She took the gun from Ivy. "You can't always use your powers."

"I thought that's why we learned combat," Ivy said.

"Well, you never know," Summer said as she emptied the gun.

Ivy sighed. "I don't know if I could shoot someone."