Twenty-Four

Claire kept her eyes on Summer's back as they sprinted away from the main road. Summer led the group down a narrow street and into an alleyway.

A barbed wire fence blocked their way. Summer stopped at the base of the fence and began climbing. Claire glanced back at the street. How far behind were their pursuers?

"Well, at least I can cross 'getting chased by weird secret agents in suits' off my bucket list," Spencer said.

"Come on," Summer called to the group as she reached the top of the fence.

Once Claire had caught her breath, she started climbing. She grabbed the top and pulled herself over. Spencer and Ivy were coming up, and Terrence was already on the ground with Summer. As Claire began the climb down, the suits appeared on the street in front of the alleyway. She dropped the last few feet to the ground and looked up.

Spencer was already making his way down, but Ivy had just reached the top of the fence. Claire's eyes widened in horror as the man held up his gun and aimed it at Ivy.

Ivy looked over at the man. She swung her leg over the fence and let go just as the man pulled the trigger. The device flew over Ivy's head and hit the ground at the other end of the alleyway. It bounced across the concrete, throwing off electric sparks.

Ivy landed on the ground with a cry of pain and threw a glance behind her. Claire followed her gaze. The suits were gone. She wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"They'll be back," Summer said. She gestured for the others to follow her. They exited the alleyway and emerged next to a busier road.

Summer surveyed the area as cars zipped by. The street sloped downwards toward the ocean. "I think this goes straight to the docks," Summer said. "We need to move fast." She walked to a nearby shop. A delivery cart stacked with boxes sat on the sidewalk out front. As the others approached, Summer began pushing boxes off of the cart.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Spencer asked as Summer angled the cart towards the road.

Ignoring him, Summer turned to Claire. "Can you steer the cart? With your powers?"

Claire looked at the cart. "I guess I could."

"Good. Everyone on."

They scrambled onto the cart, grabbing a tight hold of the handlebar. A few cars flew by. Claire glanced behind her and watched the traffic light behind them change from green, to yellow, to red.

When the traffic stopped, Summer gave the cart a push and jumped on. They went over the curb and into the road.

"We're gonna crash," Terrence muttered.

"Claire," Summer said.

Claire concentrated on the cart, getting a feel for its mechanics. She focused on the wheels and tried to turn them telekinetically. They didn't budge. It felt like they were stuck.

"Not again," Ivy groaned.

Claire looked up. They were approaching an intersection. A supermarket sat on the corner across the street, and standing out front were the suits.

"Claire?" Spencer asked. He looked over at her, and Claire could see the worry in his eyes.

"The wheels won't turn," Claire said in a shaky voice. She tried again as she spoke, focusing harder on the wheels, willing them to move. "Wait, I think I got them."

They flew into the intersection—which was, by some miracle, empty—and Claire tried to make the cart turn. The wheels gave, but not like she hoped they would. The cart jerked to a violent stop next to to the supermarket and flipped onto its side, sending everyone crashing to the ground.