Twenty-Nine

Ivy handed the remote to another Super and ordered them to keep it safe. She told the others about the Super on the phone, Tyler. As she spoke, she occasionally glanced at the camera and its blinking green light.

People were watching them.

People were watching her.

Summer stepped forward and spoke. "Everyone, get back into your teams." She turned to the third team leader, whose name Ivy couldn't remember. "See if you can find the president," Summer ordered. "Only approach if it's a fair fight. Otherwise, wait for backup."

As that team disappeared, Summer turned to the next group.

"Spencer," she said. "Go to the front of the White House and wait for this Tyler kid."

Spencer nodded. He took his group and left the office.

That left Ivy, Summer, Terrence, and the rest of their team.

"You three," Summer said, turning to the kids Ivy didn't know. "Can you keep an eye on these guys?" She pointed to the techs and Altered. They nodded.

"Good. Terrence, Ivy, let's go."

Ivy followed Summer into the hallway. "Where are we going?"

"Through the tunnels back to the surface," Summer said. "We'll see what's going on and work from there."

They reached one of the tunnel entrances and hurried inside. Terrence moved to the front of the group. Ivy glanced at Summer and noticed how tired she suddenly looked. Her aura of confidence was gone.

"You okay?" Ivy asked.

Summer nodded. "I'm fine."

Terrence was a few feet ahead of them now. They walked in silence for a few seconds before Summer spoke again. "He killed my cousin, you know."

"Huh?" Ivy asked, taken by surprise.

"Ash. He killed my cousin."

Oh. "I'm sorry," Ivy said. After a moment, she added, "What was his name?"

"Shane," Summer said. "His mom—my aunt—well, she rescued us from Cladis Point. Shane and his siblings were visiting my family when it happened, and we were the only ones who survived.

"So our aunt, she came right after it happened and got us out of there. Then Dr. Newman found us and we decided to join him. I mean, if we have powers we may as well use them for good, right? One day, we were on a supply run and Scorpion attacked. Ash was there and..."

Summer trailed off. Ivy waited for her to say more, but she didn't elaborate.

"Do you want Ash dead?" Ivy asked.

Summer shrugged. "Killing him won't bring Shane back. More death would just be pointless." It sounded like she'd had a long time to think about it. Ivy wondered how many years it'd been since Shane's death.

They had reached the walkway and were halfway across when the sound of footsteps came from the tunnel on the other side. Wren appeared, with Hestia and Seth right behind her. Summer grabbed Ivy's arm and took a step backward, pulling Ivy with her. Up ahead, Terrence froze.

Ivy turned around. The metal walkway behind them crumpled and pulled away from the tunnel, cutting off their only escape. Seth grinned and unclenched his fist.

They were trapped.

"It's fine," Summer said. "We're evenly matched. We can take them."

"I don't think so," Wren replied. She nodded at Terrence, who walked over to her without hesitation.

[OLD] The Supers Experiment (#1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara