Eleven

Panting, Ivy slowed down. Other Supers, their endurance much better, jogged past her. She wiped some sweat off her forehead and took in the ocean view. She'd begun to grow used to it, but still stayed as far from the railing as possible.

"One more lap," Summer called. Groaning, Ivy forced her burning legs to carry her around the corner, The deck wrapped all the way around the ship, creating the perfect space for them to run.

"Good job," Summer told Ivy as she finished her last lap. Ivy nodded and grabbed a water bottle out of the cooler. She looked around and found Claire, who appeared to be just as winded as Ivy was.

The Supers formed a circle around Summer. "Nice run, everyone," she said, her loud voice carrying across the deck. "Time for one-on-one training. I'll work with Ivy today, Spencer with Claire..."

While Summer continued, Ivy found Victoria in the crowd. She had relaxed a little over the past few days, but she was still protective when it came to Claire.

"Ivy, Claire." Ivy turned at the sound of Spencer's voice. He was standing next to Summer. While the other Supers spread out to train, Ivy walked over to them.

"Tonight's the night," Summer said. "We're sneaking out."

Ivy was flooded with a mixture of nervousness and excitement. She had been looking forward to this for almost a week.

"The Fortuna's moving close to the coast this evening," Summer explained. "After tonight we'll be leaving the California area, so it's now or never. You guys have enough training to handle yourselves, and I honestly don't think we'll have any problems."

"Who's all going?" Ivy asked.

"Me, Terrence, Spencer and you two," Summer said, nodding at Ivy and Claire. She briefed them on the details of the plan before they split up to train.

Ivy spent the next two hours working with Summer on her powers. She could create a small flame in her hand at will, and with a little bit of effort throw a fireball. Her aim was pretty bad, though.

"Don't worry," Summer said as they headed inside. "We all struggled in the beginning. You'll get a hang of your powers soon enough. It helps to control your emotions. If you keep them in check, you'll have more precision when you use your abilities."

"Got it," Ivy said.

~

Ivy opened the door to her room and peered out into the hallway, her eyes still adjusting to the darkness. The fear of getting caught made her nervous, but she pulled her jacket on over her dark clothes and moved forward. Wincing at every footstep, terrified that the smallest sound would wake someone up, Ivy made her way to the deck. A light breeze hit her as she stepped outside.

Summer and Terrence already waiting at the side of the ship.

"Do you need any help?" Ivy asked as she approached them.

"I think we've got it," Summer said. She climbed into one of the motorboats and examined the pulley system.

"Hey guys." Ivy turned around as Claire came around the corner, Spencer just a few steps behind her.

"Good, everyone's here," Summer said, hopping out of the boat. "It's all hooked up, we just need to lower it into the water."

"I knew you were up to something!" a familiar voice shouted. Ivy groaned. Of course they would run into trouble on their way out.

"Victoria," Ivy muttered as she turned around. Victoria stood a few feet away, hands on her hips, glaring at them.

Ivy folded her arms. "Congratulations, you caught us."