Sixteen

Ivy peered out the window as the chopper touched down on the roof. The sun had already gone down and the lights outside didn't illuminate anything beyond the edge of the building. Ash mentioned that they were in Florida, but that was all Ivy knew about their location.

The soldiers escorted Ivy to a door at the other end of the roof. There were at least twenty more jetchoppers parked along the way. When they reached the door, Ash punched a code into the keypad next to it and stood to the side while the soldiers led Ivy in.

They walked down a set of stairs and entered a hallway. Behind her, Ivy heard a cellphone ring. Ash told Seth and Hestia to go to their rooms before answering the phone. While he listened to whoever was on the other end, Ivy wondered what she should do with the file in her jacket. Should she hide it? Looking around the white hall, Ivy didn't see anywhere she could stash the folder.

Ash hung up and turned to face the soldiers.

"Sir," one of them spoke. "Should we take her to the Recruitment Center?"

"No," Ash replied. "Claudia wants to see Ivy in her office. Take the damaged soldiers to the Barracks. I'll need two of you to stay with me."

Two soldiers stepped forward, while the rest disappeared into another hallway. Ash turned to Ivy. "Come on. Claudia's office is this way."

"Wait," Ivy said. She had an idea. "I need to use the bathroom."

Ash was immediately suspicious. "You know that bathrooms don't have windows, right? You won't be able to escape, if that's what you're planning."

"I swear I'm not trying to escape," Ivy said.

Ash narrowed his eyes. "Fine. Soldiers, take her to the restroom. I'll wait here."

The soldiers led Ivy down one of the hallways. The hall ended in a floor-to-ceiling window, but being as high as they were, Ivy didn't dare try to escape that way.

"In here," one of soldiers said, pointing to a door. Ivy entered the bathroom, her hand moving to her jacket pocket as soon as the door shut. She looked around, wondering where she could hide the folder.

Her gaze drifted past the stalls. She could get rid of the file entirely, but then it wouldn't be of use to anyone. And they needed the list if they were going to have any chance of fighting Scorpion.

Ivy had another idea. It was risky, but if she pulled it off it would be her best shot at making sure the folder got back to the Fortuna. Ivy worked quickly, flushed a toilet and turned on the sink to prevent suspicion, then returned to the soldiers waiting outside.

They walked back to Ash and he led them through the halls, turning so many different times that Ivy couldn't tell which way was which. Finally, they passed a bank of elevators, made one last right turn, and came to a stop in front of a door.

Ash knocked on the door. "Come in," a woman's voice called from inside. Ash turned the handle and stepped inside.

Ivy entered the office and locked eyes with the woman sitting at the desk.

Claudia Montgomery.

Claudia stood up. "It's been a long time," she said, a hint of a smile on her face. "I don't suppose you remember me, Ivy?"

"No," Ivy said, hoping Claudia could tell she was annoyed.

"It has been almost eleven years," Claudia said. She sat back down. "I was more involved with you than most of the other Altered."

"We prefer the term Supers."

Claudia laughed and turned to Ash. "When we're done here, take her to the lab. I want a blood sample from her."