Twelve

Claire's eyes flew open. She sat up and looked around, and it seemed to take her a moment to remember where she was.

"You okay, Claire?" Ivy asked. Claire nodded. After a moment of uncertainty, Ivy looked out at the water. With the Fortuna far behind them, the only decent source of light came from the small lantern Summer was holding.

"We're about a minute from shore," Terrence announced from the driver's seat. Ivy turned to face the front of the boat and saw city lights cutting through the night.

"We're docking near Long Beach," Spencer told them as the boat slowed down. "From there it's about eighty miles to Cladis Point."

"Usually when we go ashore, for supply runs and whatnot, Dr. Newman arranges for us to get a car," Summer said. "Obviously, that's not happening this time. So we will be 'borrowing' a vehicle."

"Borrow?" Ivy asked skeptically. "Like, rent a car?"

"Not exactly," Spencer replied, sounding a little concerned himself. Summer, however, kept a cool expression on her face. Ivy exchanged a confused glance with Claire, who just shrugged. She looked like she was in pain, and Ivy realized she probably had a headache.

They came to a stop at a small dock. "Dealership's that way," Summer said, pointing away from the docks.

Terrence hopped out and tied up the boat. As soon as it was secure, Ivy was out, eager to leave the water behind. The others stepped out behind her. Summer moved to the front of the group and led them away from the docks.

"Nice job burning the ropes, by the way," she said to Ivy. "You're getting better at controlling your powers."

Ivy flushed. "Thanks." Although she wouldn't say it out loud, she was proud of herself. She hadn't really been focused on control, though. At the time, she'd just been desperate.

Like at the boarding school fire. Her chest had burned then, too. The more panicked she became, the bigger the fire grew.

It was probably a miracle she hadn't set the boat on fire.

They crossed an empty street and entered a lot of new cars. It was well lit, with streetlights everywhere. Ivy didn't see how they were supposed to 'borrow' a car without getting caught.

"Summer," Spencer began. "We are returning the car we take, right?"

"Of course," Summer said, sounding a little absent-minded as she scanned the cars. "We'll come back this way when we head back to the Fortuna." Her eyes suddenly lit up, and Ivy followed her gaze to a silver vehicle at the end of the row.

"That one," Summer said. "We'll blend in."

She held up her arm. An arc of electricity jumped from her hand and to the nearest streetlight. The light flickered and went dark. Summer's face glowed, illuminated by the electricity for a few moments before she lowered her arm and let it die out.

Ivy realized just how determined Summer was to see Cladis Point. The second she had her mind made up, she became unstoppable. And in that moment, Ivy was very grateful that Summer was on their side.

Ivy's gaze darted between the other Supers. Claire looked exhausted. Spencer seemed amazed, and Terrence had a hint of a smile on his face.

"That was shocking, am I right?" Spencer asked. He earned a chuckle from Claire. Summer rolled her eyes, but it was obvious she was fighting a grin.

Summer walked over to the car and tugged at the handle. "Locked," she muttered.

Gee, I wonder why. Ivy folded her arms, wondering if anyone noticed that a robbery was taking place.