Fourteen

Ivy shielded her eyes from the overhead sun. In one hand, she clutched the folder containing the list of Supers. If they could track down even a fraction of them, they would have more than enough to fight Scorpion.

Speaking of which...

"Please don't tell me that helicopter I hear is Scorpion," Ivy said as the distant sound of a chopper reached her ears.

"It's probably just a regular ol' helicopter," Spencer said, but he didn't sound too sure.

"Don't jinx us," Terrence muttered.

"How would they know we're here?" Claire asked.

Ivy shrugged. Maybe Spencer was right, and the helicopter wasn't Scorpion. She turned her gaze to the horizon and watched the chopper grow closer,

"We should find cover, just to be safe," Summer said. She glanced behind her at Cladis Point. "We could hide in one of the houses."

Ivy followed her gaze. "I think we're too far. We'd have to run, and that will draw the chopper's attention if we haven't already."

Summer sighed. "We have to try. We're exposed out here."

The helicopter was getting closer. They were running out of time.

"Claire," Ivy said. "Can you read the minds of whoever's in the helicopter?"

Claire paused a moment, concentrating. "I—I can sense that someone's up there, but I'm not close enough to read anything."

The helicopter began to descend. It wasn't close enough to make out any details, but Ivy thought she saw a flash of red on the side.

"Run," Summer hissed.

They turned and sprinted as fast as they could toward the town. Ivy tightened her grip around the folder as she ran. She risked a glance behind her and saw that the helicopter had almost touched down.

Cladis Point grew closer. They had just reached the road leading into town when Ivy tripped. She landed hard on the asphalt, sending the folder flying. Groaning, Ivy rolled onto her back and sat up.

A couple hundred feet away, the helicopter door slid open. A girl stepped out and hopped onto the ground, the air from the helicopter blades whipping her caramel-colored hair every which way. After her came a boy.

They were followed by Ash.

And ten soldiers.

"Ivy!"

Ivy turned to see Claire staring at her in alarm. Ivy looked down at her hands. Blood trickled from the cuts the asphalt had left. Fortunately, her jacket seemed to have protected her arms.

Grimacing, Ivy pushed herself to her feet and saw the folder lying a few feet away, the pages spilling out. Ivy hurried over and scooped up most of them. As she did, the wind picked up and blew the remaining few away from her.

Ivy stuffed the ones she had back in the folder and shoved everything into the pocket inside her jacket. There was no time to go after the other pages.

"We're going to have to fight them," Summer said as Ivy joined the rest of the group. She frowned. "Am I crazy, or do the soldiers look different?"

"They're the new ones Claire and I saw when we picked up Victoria," Spencer said.

"Great," Summer muttered. "Let's hope they aren't too much harder to take down."

Ivy's heart pounded in her chest as the group in the distance moved closer. She looked down and realized her hands were on fire. Clenching her fists, she forced the flames to disappear. Control your emotions.