Six

Claire stepped out of the car onto the street she'd grown up on. A Scorpion jetchopper was parked in the middle of the road, and police were arriving. Where were Victoria and Dad?

"It'll be okay," she heard Spencer say. Claire nodded. They'd find her family. They had to. She reminded herself she wasn't alone. She had Spencer, and Terrence.

Summer had stayed behind to show Ivy around the ship, since they weren't planning on a fight. Now, Claire wished they'd come. Scorpion was here, and chances were they'd be outnumbered.

Nearby, a black vehicle pulled away from the curb and sped off. Claire frowned, but Spencer spoke, distracting her from the strange car.

"Let's go," he said. Claire took a deep breath and started across the street.

"Hey," a police officer shouted as he climbed out of his vehicle. "You can't be over here."

He started to approach, but stopped when the ground began shaking. The earth under the street erupted through a crack in asphalt, creating a wall between them and the officer. Claire watched, wide-eyed, as Terrence flexed his hand. If only she could control her powers like that.

Just as they reached the sidewalk, a shout came from the far side of the house. Claire recognized Victoria's voice and froze. A group of people came around the corner of the house. One of them was Victoria, struggling against her captors. Soldiers.

Then Ash appeared on the front porch. Claire clenched her fists, trying to prepare herself to fight.

"Hang on," Spencer said. "We're outnumbered. And these soldiers are new."

Claire glanced at the soldiers. She guessed they did look a little different. Bigger, maybe? She wasn't sure.

Ash kept his eye on Claire and the others as he walked down the steps. Claire turned her gaze to Victoria as the soldiers pulled her toward the helicopter, trying to connect to her thoughts.

Claire gasped.

"Claire, what's wrong?" Spencer asked.

Claire hesitated a moment. "Follow me," she whispered, turning her attention back to Ash. He wasn't looking at them. Claire quickly crossed her yard to the side of the house. She threw a glance behind her to check that Spencer and Terrence were following, and another at Ash to make sure he was looking the other way. When she reached the side of the house, she stopped and leaned against the wall while Spencer and Terrence caught up.

"Claire, what's going on?" Spencer asked quietly.

Claire's heart pounded. She hoped she was right.

Of course she was. She had to be. Victoria's thoughts were loud and clear in her head. Silently, Claire gestured for the other two to follow her around the house.

Claire's heart sank when she saw that the back door had been destroyed, the remains of the wood scattered across grass. She forced herself to walk inside, into the kitchen. The sound of the television cut through the silence. Claire looked around and found the note telling Victoria to hide in the panic room.

Claire had always wondered about the secret room. Dad built it right after they moved into the house. Now that she knew about Scorpion and Cladis Point, it made sense. Claire folded up the note and slid it in her pocket before leaving the kitchen.

On her way to the hall, she spotted her sketchbook sitting on the fireplace. She paused a moment before scooping it up and continuing down the hallway.

The boys followed her down the hall to the panic room. She opened the door to what looked like a closet and fumbled around for the hidden knob behind the the cleaning supplies. The back of the closet popped out of place, allowing her to grab the edge and slide it into the wall.

"Whoa," Spencer said. Behind the false wall was a small room. Two shelves were stocked with supplies.

"Our panic room," Claire said as she stepped inside.

"Smart," she heard Terrence mutter as she walked past the shelves, pulse racing. She reached the second shelf and turned. Please let me be right about this.

Claire breathed a sigh of relief when the corner of the room came into view.

Sitting up against the wall was Victoria.

~

Ash climbed into the helicopter behind the soldiers and Victoria. "Get us in the air," he shouted as he pulled the door shut.

Victoria was no longer struggling, and had resorted to simply glaring at Ash. A soldier on either side of her held on tight to her arm, preventing escape. But now that they were up in the air, Ash didn't think that would be a problem.

"Let go of her," he told the soldiers. They released Victoria, and she took a step forward, still scowling.

"Sit down," Ash said. "We'll be at headquarters in about an hour, and everything will be explained to you." Most recruits put up a fight, but after a little bit of training they always came around.

"I don't—" Victoria started to speak, but abruptly stopped. She disappeared for a second before flickering back into view. This time, she looked much paler than she had before.

"What the—what are you doing?" Ash asked.

Victoria disappeared and reappeared again. She smiled.

"My powers," she said, as if that explained everything. Ash narrowed his eyes.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. Did Claudia mention Victoria's powers? He couldn't remember.

Victoria laughed, and flickered a few more times.

"I can create copies of myself," she said.

In the blink of an eye, she was gone for good.