Chapter Thirty

"Listen, I'm really, really, really, sorry about abruptly kissing you like that," Eve said as she and Lily appeared in front of her tree home. "I know you probably don't like me like that, but they just wouldn't shut u-"

Eve was cut off by a quick chaste kiss from Lily. "I do like you, I think."

"Oh." Eve stood speechless.

"Oh?" Lily said dejectedly.

"I think I like you, too," Eve quickly rushed out seeing Lily's crestfallen express. "I'm pretty sure I do, actually."

"That's great," Lily said with an awkward smile.

"Yeah," Eve rocked back on her heels.

An awkward silence grew around the duo, cutting through the trees. It rang for minutes and minutes on end, neither girl knowing what to say to the other. The two occasionally made eye contact, but that just made the encounter even more awkward.

"Er," Lily couldn't take it anymore and finally broke the silence, "Professor Borys was able to translate the runes for you."

"Oh, that's great," Eve said happily to the change of subject, "Do you have them with you?"

"No, uh, they're in my trunk," Lily told her, "What are they for, anyways? You never told me."

"Oh, uh, they're for a project, I suppose," Eve said.

"What project?"

"It's best I show you." Taking Lily's hand, Eve walked the redhead towards the direction of the magical tree. She had to be careful going through centaur territory, though. The hybrid creatures aren't very fond of wizards and witches.

Unfortunately, things did not go in the girls favor, as they ended up running into a centaur. On the hand, if they were to run into a centaur, Firenze was the best one.

"Hello, Eve," the friendly centaur smiled down at the Faery before frowning down at Lily.

"Hello, Firenze," Eve smiled at him, "This is my friend, Lily."

"Lily," Firenze nodded at the young witch, quickly looking back at Eve, "Where are you off to, young one?"

"A special place just inside the unicorn territory," Eve told him.

"Be careful," Firenze warned the two, "We've encountered some werewolves working for Lord Voldemort."

Eve's smile fell slightly at the news, "We will. Thank you for the warning, Firenze."

"Of course," he nodded at the two, "The stars foretell something terrible. Please be careful," Firenze warned once more before cantering off away from the two.

"Wha-?" Lily got ready to shoot all of her questions at Eve, but she was quickly cut off.

"I'm going to show you the tree, but then we must get you back to Hogwarts," Eve said deadly serious.

"Why?" Lily asked confused.

"We must be quick," Eve told her seriously, not bothering with her question as she gripped Lily tight and ran as fast as she could in the direction of the tree.

Lily had a difficult time keeping up the Faery, tripping and stumbling over sticks and roots. Ducking last second under branches to avoid getting hit by the offending trees. "Come on," Eve rushed the witch, picking up her pace. Going faster then Lily thought humanly possible.

The witch was barely touching the ground now, Eve was basically dragging her through the forest. After a couple minutes of running, the duo came upon a clearing with a beautiful tree standing in the center. It's branches were like a canopy, covering almost the entirety of the clearing like a woven ceiling.

Magnificent flowers were going into bloom right before her eyes. All a range of colors. Reds, purples, whites, yellows. She stared at the tree in awe. It practically radiated power. Lily could feel the magic in the air, her wand was buzzing in response.

Eve looked over at Lily, a bright smile at watching the childlike awe grow on the witches face at the tree.

"Woah."

"I know," Eve laughed, momentarily forgetting about the werewolf threat.

"What does this have to do with the runes?" Lily asked, finally looking away from the tree in favor of Eve.

"Come closer," Eve motioned the redhead near the tree, "Do you see those markings?" Eve motioned to the thousands of burn marks that covered the tree, adding to the mystical feel of it.

"Did someone burn runes into the tree?" Lily asked, wide eyed.

"I have no idea," Eve told her, shaking her head. Her slightly long blonde hair flying around her head at the sudden breeze that plagued the forest.

The smile fell off Eve's face, her entire body going tense. Her emerald eyes darted around the clearing. Lily looked at her friend worried, taking in her stiff posture and serious look on her face. "Eve-?"

"We have to get out of here." Once again her hand latched onto Lily's, "They're coming."

"We're already here, love."