Chapter 43

HUNTER'S POV:

After a long day in the Arcade with Maria, it was about time to drop her off. I watched Maria as she stepped out of the car.

"Bye, I'll see you tomorrow." Maria said with a small smile. "Also, thank you for today. I really needed it." she added.

"I'm always gonna be here whenever you need someone to cheer you up." I chuckled followed by a smile.

"You know, it's getting pretty dark out. Why don't you sleep over for tonight and leave in the morning to prepare for school?" she asked.

"Thee Maria Anne is actually worried about me driving at night?" I asked with a raised brow.

"Oh, shush. It's just a simple yes or no question." she chuckled.

"Well, I don't know when I'll ever be offered this again, so I don't see why not." I chuckled getting out of the car.

The two of us made our way inside her house.

"Same as before, you're sleeping on the couch." Maria said followed by a soft chuckle.

"Can I lay on the floor next to your bed instead? I wanna keep an eye out on you." I replied.

"Why would you need to?" she questioned.

"Because, I worry about you." I replied firmly. "I want to keep an eye out on you."

// N ex t  D a y \\

It was 6:30am, I know, really early. But I had to be up early to get ready for school. I fixed up everything before I left, and I double checked to make sure the door was locked. If you guys were wondering, yes she did let me sleep on the floor beside her. But by the time she laid on the bed, she was immediately knocked out.

Right when I was in the car, I took out my phone and sent Maria a text letting her know I left in the morning.

"Good morning, I just wanted to let you know that I just left the house. Also, after I'm done getting ready for school I'm gonna pick you up and get you some breakfast. So you better be up! Or else you'll be going to school in pajamas." I typed, rereading the message before sending it.

Once I got home, I took a short shower and dressed in a red flannel along with black jeans and black converse.

I heard my phone vibrate and picked it up to see what it was, it was a text from Maria.

"Good morning, also I'm up, and dressed! I'm not going to school in pajamas! xP but, I'll see you later for breakfast!" she texted, then she sent another text. "Btw, I'm paying this time!" she texted again which made me chuckle.

When she texted, that was my cue to go pick her up now and so I did. Once I was outside her house I honked and watched her front door as she ran out with her backpack.

"Good morning," she greeted opening the car door as she headed inside and sat down.

"Morning sleepyhead, how'd you sleep?" I asked.

"I slept okay, how about you?" she asked.

"Good," I replied. "Also, you know I can pay for our breakfast." I added.

"But, you've been paying for a lot of things lately." she replied. "I'm paying for this breakfast, and that's final!" she added confidently.

We went to McDonalds, I bought us some pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, and a few hash browns. Also a strawberry shake, she loved strawberry shakes.

Once we were told how much it cost altogether, she took out her money and handed it to me. I took it, but didn't use it and ended up giving it back to her.

"Hey! I said I was gonna pay," she pouted.

"Mari, this is my treat. Don't worry about it," I chuckled softly looking at her in the passenger's seat as she pouted.

"But--" she paused as I gave her a look which made her sigh. "Thank you,"

// A t S c h o o l \\

When we made it to school, we just sat in my car eating breakfast since it was still early.

"Mmmm, strawberry smoothies~" she said sounding satisfied with the taste as she smiled.

"You and your strawberries," I chuckled.

After we finished eating breakfast, the two of us headed into school walking side by side.

"Morning Maria!" Cole greeted with a smile.

"Ah, good morning Cole." she replied.

"I never got the chance to ask you, but are you okay?" he asked.

"Hm? Why do you ask?" she asked, obviously trying to hide the fact her and Jason broke up.

But trying to hide it would only make it more difficult for her.

"Well, I saw Jason with some girl the other day. He was all over her; and I went up to ask him why he was doing that when he had a girlfriend." he mentioned. "But, he said you guys broke up." he added.

Cole was totally unaware of the fact that him mentioning Jason all over another girl after they've broken up would affect her.

"Oh. He's moved on already?" she asked quietly. "That's wonderful to hear." she added sadly before walking off on her own.

"Was it something I said?" Cole asked, STILL unaware about him telling her ALL those things would affect her in a bad way.

"It was everything you said." I replied sighing, before walking away chasing after Maria down the hall.

At first, she was in sight. Then, people started piling up in the hallway and I lost her.

F-ck. Where is she? I need to see her, I need to be there for her.

When I reached the end of the hall, I had two choices. Left, or right. I chose left. But when I did, I immediately regretted it.

Right down that hall, I saw two people smooching. Their lips were definitely locked onto one another. One being Jason, and the other being--

• - • - • - • - •
• - • - • - •
A/N: Back with another update!! 🤘🏼 I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! Also, comment who you thought was with Jason!! 👀 I love reading your guys' comments! ☺️💕