40. I promise you that, In sha Allah.

ARIF'S P.O.V

Samaah had slipped into coma. It took me some time to digest that. When dad said she was out of danger, I felt relieved. But then, he said that she had slipped into coma with the risk of waking up with amnesia! That got me all riled up again, and I tensed up. However, when dad revealed Samiha's condition, then I realised that Alhamdulillah, at least my wife was out of danger, but what would be going through Asif right now?

I held his shoulder and squeezed it in a comforting manner, but that didn't seem to make him feel any better. I knew that he was in shock, and was experiencing several emotions all in one, and due to that, for the first time in ten years, I saw a tear roll out of my twin's eye. For his wife.

When the two of us would talk, we would always say that we didn't feel anything strong towards our wives, and that was really true. I liked Samaah a little after getting to practice archery with her after the three months of our marriage, and Asif told me he was beginning to get comfortable with Samiha and he kind of liked her after hanging out with her during her friend's wedding reception.

But to be completely honest, from the trauma I'm experiencing since I found out about Samaah's accident all the way till now when I was told she's in coma and might end up with amnesia, I realised that maybe this wasn't just liking her. It's been nearly six months since we got married and for the first time, I think Samaah has a special place in my heart, but I just wasn't aware of it. But now, it was too late. Even though she was out of danger, if she woke up with amnesia, chances are she probably won't remember me, or she wouldn't be able to make new memories with me.

As for Asif, the tear that came out of his eye was enough to explain what he felt for his wife. He acted all tough and hard. Unlike me, he would hardly initiate conversations with her, although he did so occasionally. But now, I realised that the both of us had indeed developed true strong feelings for our wives if we could feel so devastated at the thought of losing them. A thought that wouldn't be as disturbing as it is now, if it had occurred nearly six months ago.

When I finally found my voice, I wanted to ask about Samaah.

"Dad, you said Samaah has been moved to the wards. Which ward?" I asked, and bit my lower lip.

"Ward number 18," dad replied, curtly. He really didn't seem to want to even look at me. I just nodded.

Asif, who still seemed frozen in place, didn't seem to reply to me when I called his name. So I grabbed his arm and led him to the chair next to our parents. I then pushed him by his shoulders, making him sit. The guy was in a much worse condition than I was and he had every right to be because his wife was in a much worse condition than mine.

After making Asif sit down, I turned on my heel and left for ward number 18, so that I could go and look at my wife. I was so worried. I thanked Allah that she was out of danger, but then, I didn't have any idea when she would wake up from coma and that got me stressed out even more because until she woke up, I wouldn't be at peace knowing that she has a risk of waking up with post-traumatic amnesia.

When I reached the door reading Ward No. 18, I just wanted to burst inside and go and look at Samaah. But I was being held back by fear. Somehow, seeing her in there would prove that her current condition was certainly real. And also, I feared seeing her unconscious.

Summoning as much courage as I could, I pushed open the door and entered the ward. As expected, my father-in-law was still there, with his head in his hands, sitting on a chair next to Samaah's bed. Seeing him so broken, so upset made me realise how bad he must be feeling. Because both his daughters were suffering, and his other daughter had little chance of survival. And I realised that what would break him even more was the fact that they were in this condition because they tried to save his life. My heart sincerely ached for him. I stepped next to him and laid my hand on his shoulder, causing him to lift his head up and look at me. He immediately stood up and grabbed my hand.

"Listen Arif. There's not much I want to say right now. But I'll just leave after taking a promise from you. In sha Allah, when Samaah wakes up from coma, you are going to give my daughter all the happiness in the world and treat her and love her the way she deserves to be treated and loved," he said, his eyes bloodshot.

"I...I promise you that, In sha Allah," I said, silently praying to Allah to help me keep my promise to my father-in-law.

"Don't ever go back on your word, Arif," he said, giving me a hard look. "I'll take your leave." With that, he went away, leaving me alone in the room with my wife.

I looked at Samaah properly and seeing her in that state made me feel miserable. Her unconscious state with a large bandage on her head, the bruises on her face and the cuts on her arms made her look so fragile, so helpless and vulnerable. It broke me to see her like that.

The day we got married was a dreary day for me. When I went to see her, I didn't utter a word to her. But there was no denying that when I lifted her veil to look at her face, she was beautiful. I had never noticed Samaah in school but even on the day when she came here with her sister in order to meet Asif and I, I had thought that both sisters were beautiful. Little did I know I would end up with her. And little did I know that a day like today would come when I would realise how special she actually is. Just too bad, it took her to end up in such a situation for me to realise that. And too bad I can't tell her how I feel...as yet.

I vaguely remember the first time we talked properly, which was three months after getting married to her. I was teaching her archery, standing right behind her, and without knowing the close proximity at which I was standing behind her, she turned around and banged into me, and I grabbed her shoulders to steady her.

Another moment we had was when I told her about the fire one morning after Fajr. Seeing my eyes glisten with tears as I recalled the loss of most of my family, she immediately grabbed my hand. And I swear, nothing felt more comforting then, even though I denied it right after it happened. I couldn't help but squeeze her soft hand when she grabbed my hand.

I suddenly remembered her asking me to come for her graduation. Will she even be able to make it for her own graduation? What if she doesn't wake up before her graduation? I thought. I knew she was looking forward to it. She seemed so nervous when she asked me to attend, and to be honest, it was adorable. Of course I wasn't going to miss it! But from the look of things, only Allah knew if she'll even wake up before her graduation.

Coming out of those memories and thoughts, I sank into the chair beside her bed where her father was sitting. I reached for her hand, and after a tiny hesitation, I held it. I brought it close to my face, and for the first time, I dropped a kiss on the back of my wife's hand.

Ya Allah, please bring her out of coma. Wake her up soon, Ya Allah. Please! I kept on praying, repetitively.

I have no idea how long I stayed there with Samaah, but I didn't want to leave her. I decided that I would just stay there with her. With her hand still in mine, I slowly drifted off to sleep, with my head on my free arm, which rested on the side of the hospital bed.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

Short chapter, I know. But the thing is, writing such depressing chapters which are not very happening is not my forte. But I did try my best.

Who is left wondering when Samaah will even wake up? If I didn't know any better, I definitely would be wondering!

I'm getting so tired of typing and all, so I guess I'll call it a day.

Goodbye dearest readers.