42. Don't be stubborn now!

ARIF'S P.O.V

A whole week had passed since the sisters' accident. Today was the day of Samaah's graduation, and I felt so down to see that she was still in coma. I had been staying over at the hospital all along, except for one night where I'd gone back home to get my stuff, and I was so exhausted that I ended up staying at home for the night. Right now, I was all alone here since it was just after Fajr.

The evening after Samaah had asked me to attend her graduation, she had phoned her university to inform them about who was coming, since all students who were graduating had to give the number of their guests and their names and phone numbers for the guest list. So when she called, her university told her that they would make dad and I the guests of honour since, putting it in their words "we were the royalty of the town". But now, from the look of the way things were, what with Samaah being in coma and all, we weren't going.

Hours just passed slowly with me sitting on the chair next to Samaah's bed, reciting Qur'an, du'ahs and brooding occasionally, until it was eight o'clock in the morning. That's when everyone started coming in to see Samaah and Samiha. Our families had made it clear to Asif and I, that it was high time we were of some use and so, we were not to leave the hospital at all. So both Asif and I stayed with our unconscious wives all along.

While both mum, Aunt Naila and Asiyah went to see Samiha first thing as soon as they came, dad, Uncle Habib and Saamih came over to see Samaah. I immediately got up from the chair to let one of the two elders sit down, and Uncle Habib told dad to sit. While everyone was looking at Samaah, and saying a few words now and then, my phone rang. It was an unsaved number, but I accepted the call anyway.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone.

"Hello, Mr. Arif Hamid. I'm calling from the university Samaah Ashraf attends. I called in order to confirm if you and your father will both be coming since you are our guests of honour?" The person on the other end of the line spoke.

"I don't think so. My wife Samaah is in coma right now, so I don't think we'll make it," I replied.

"Sir, please do try to come. We don't have any other guests of honour. Besides, someone from your family does have to come anyway to collect Samaah's degree and certificate if she's in coma and unable to come herself," the person insisted.

"Alright, let's do this. I'll consult with my family and call you back to let you know," I answered.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Arif. Your presence if you do come will be highly appreciated!" And with that, the person ended the call.

"Who was that?" My father-in-law asked.

"Samaah's university. They called to confirm whether dad and I will be attending since we're the guests of honour," I replied.

"You should have accepted! Everyone is here to be with Samaah so you and Mr. Hamid should go!" He said.

"Well..." I said uncertainly.

"Arif. Just go for it. Samaah would have wanted you to go. This is the least you can do for her. Attend her graduation on her behalf and collect her degree and certificate for her. Don't be stubborn now," Saamih said. I knew exactly why he said "don't be stubborn now". It was because of the fact that when he asked us to help him get Samaah and Samiha's whereabouts, we decided that wasn't as important as reporting Yan. Since that day, this was the first time Saamih spoke to me. He has been extremely angry at both of us. Saamih's sisters were very special to him and so his anger was justified.