Imagine Ubbe keeping you safe without really showing it - I

Words: 1604

The roaring, axes against shields, feet against the ground. It filled you with so much life ... they had won the battle. Your eyes traveled up to the sky, thanking the gods silent for their support in this battle. But you also knew it was really time for you to get to work. As a healer you always had to go on the raids and battles, helping the injured, praying for the heavily wounded. You saw sometimes to much dead but you graced every one of those dead with your presents. Some villages where easy to take, others were stocked with fighting spirit, leaving you to tend the wounds and injuries of the men and woman out of Kattegat. You stood uphill nearby when you saw the first vikings return to the camp, roaring their victory for everybody to hear. One of them had a head in his hand, swinging it around in excitment before you noticed the first wounded, crawling herself further over the ground, a sword pressing in her upperleg. 'It hit an artery.' You said when you arrived, pressing fabrics against her leg before you looked to the sword. It needed to be pulled out but the changes were big that she would bleed to dead.
'Valhalla will welcome me, I'm sure of it.' She encouraged the doubt in your eyes. You nodded and pulled the sword out, she didn't yelled. She only clenshed her teeth while the blood soacked the fabrics, not really mattering how much pressure you putted on it. The woman smiled, laying her head in the mud while looking to the sky. Dying was a peacefull thing just after battle for all of them where sure they would enter Valhalla with proud. You layed you ear against her chest when her smile fadded, just to be sure ... and she was.
'Y/n.' A rush of relief runned through you body when you recognized his voice. Turning away from the woman you looked to Ubbe, supporting Sigurd while stepping closer. He was covered in dirt, blood but he seemed alright. It was since you went on raids with the young sons of Ragnar that you fell for him and everytime ever since, you prayed a little more for his safe return. His brother was less alright. You rushed over to Sigurd, looking to the arm who just hanged there totaly out of possition, his back soacked with blood.
'Sigurd.' You greeted him fast, leading the both of them to a clear spot where Ubbe helped his brother on the ground.
'I'm alright.' Sigurd protested. You started to pull out his defensif armor and looked to the shoulder you revealed.
'Can you fix him?' Ubbe asked worried. You looked up, meeting his colorfull eyes full of concern for his brother. He really didn't admitted to it but he loved his brothers, being the oldest one of the four he took his task serious to keep them in line and in a certain way also safe.
'It will hurt,' she turned her eyes back to Sigurd. 'A lot.'
'Get it over with.' He hissed in pain. You took his leather belt and pushed it in his mouth.
'Hold him down.' You nodded to Ubbe. He didn't challenged your knowlegde in what your where doing, he fully trusted your work. You took Sigurd his arm, laid your other hand on his shoulder before you pushed his arm back in position with one hard push. He yelled throught the belt, sweat covering his forehead.
'He has a large cut on his back to.' Ubbe pointed out, pulling his brother up on his neck, reavealing his soacked back. You glanced under his shirt to a deep large cut. 'We should bring him to the camp, where it is safe.'
'I can work here to.' You reacted with a fast smile.
'Y/n, is safer there.' Ubbe insisted friendly. You looked up to him and nodded, studing his face.
'You have some nasty scratches to, I should look to that to.' You said a little concerned. He only smiled, helping his brother up.
'I'm fine.' He winked, already walking. You took Sigurd his weapons and clothes and rushed after the both of them.

It was a pretty deep wound, you cleaned it in the best you could but you where a little scared that it would infect. 'That is not the look you give while saving my brother.' Ivar reacted on the concern in your eyes. You looked up to the little spoiled brad but didn't say a thing because Ubbe was faster.
'Without her he maybe was already dead. And don't you have somewhere else to be?' Ubbe asked him. You tended further to Sigurd but followed the conversation between the two of them.
'What, so you can be alone with your little healer here.' Ivar his words maked you blush, turning a little so they wouldn't notice it while you layed some herbs ointment into the wound. Ubbe laughed, pushing his brother before Ivar finally gave up and left. You pulled the bucket closer, washing some bandages clean, refreshing them with cold water, softly laying them on the wound. Sigurd shivered but kept his eyes closed. You gave him something to ease his pain a little, he fell asleep by it. You felt his hot breath on you neck when Ubbe lurked over you shoulder to his brother. It was the kind of warmth that really filled your body in this kind of cold days.
'Will he live?' Ubbe asked. You slowly looked over your shoulder, his head hardly away from yours.
'I can't do more than this.' You answered, studying his filty face again. 'Can I attend your wounds now?' You asked carefull, feeling his breath warming the curve from you neck to your colarbone.
'I'm fine.' And he pulled back.
'Ubbe,' You stopped him. He looked down, smiling, before he turned around to you again. 'If it infects you could loose a whole lot more than only your face. Please,' you gestured to the seat. He sighned, but on a friendly way and sat down. You hesitated for a moment before you layed your fingers under his chin, turning his head gently to the left so you got a good vieuw of his right side. 'There aren't any deep ones.' You murmured for yourself.
'Told you.' He smiled. A smile spread over your own face while you took a fabric washing away the blood and dirt away where he was in covered.
'I wouldn't forgive myself if I can safe your brother but let you walk around with infected wounds because you are a little to stubborn.' You said a little amused. His smile grew more playfull, you really loved this kind of smile on him. You looked to it until you caught yourself on watching. Your smile faded, working a little faster to clean his face, Ubbe didn't say a thing about it. He looked to his brother again.
'Thank you,' he began. 'for helping Sigurd. I know you don't like him.' Ubbe went further.
'It is my duty to help our people. And who would I be to refuse a boy just because he hates me.'
'He doesn't hate you.' Ubbe smiled. You pulled your hands away from his head, looking to his clean skin again.
'He does, admit it. I'm way to boring.' You reacted with a supportive grinn, knowing you were right.
'You're not boring Y/n.'
'You just say that to make me feel better.' You interupted him. With the scratches washed out there was only one who needed a little of your self made ointment. You carefully smeared it out over the wound before you pulled back and nodded to him. 'You are free to go.' You gestured to the others in the camp. He stood up and looked to his brother again. 'I will keep an close eye on him, I promise.' You reassured him. He lifted his hand, stroking his thumb over your cheek and you felt the warmth spreading to your body.
'Thank you.' He said from right out his heart. You nodded and looked how he walked away, leaving you with that weakness in your knees. But you knew ... you weren't good for him, you were just a healer.

Sigurd got a fever during the night. It  took you more than one bucket of water to keep his fever down, cleaning the wound every hour just to be safe. It was exhausting, half the camp was already asleep, the wounded were asleep and Sigurd was to, only a little restless. But you ... you worked the whole night, sweat transparent on your forehead while you putted on some new bandages. You stood up, arching your back in pain from always crouching down. When you felt a pair of hands on your shoulders, you startled, looking over you shoulder to Ubbe. 'You should rest.' He said a little concerned. You bited your lip and looked back to Sigurd. 'Tell me what to do and take a few hours to sleep.'
'I don't really want to leave,'
'This is an order Y/n.' He said with a sternly voice. You nodded and looked back to Sigurd, explaining Ubbe everything he needed to do to keep his brother comfatble.
'You have to wake me if something goes wrong, promise me that.' It was almost begging, how embarrassed.
'Yes, yes, go no, before I need to treat you to.' He smiled reassuring. You hesitated, standing there, between sleep and responability. But finally you took off, always looking over your shoulder only to see Ubbe watching you until you where out of sight ...