Imagine being with Halfdan around a child

ONESHOT
Words: 2697

'Promise me you will take good care of her.' Your sister was nervous on leaving her two year old toddler with you. It was the first time she would go trading again and the first time she would leave her daughter behind, in your hands. You had to admit, it was the first time you had to take care of a child yourself. But you were excited; you were looking forward to this for quite some time. Your eyes traveled down to dark haired girl sitting on the steps before your house, playing with small stones and some sand, she was so innocent, so pure, you loved watching her playing around with her mother.
'She will be fine. I didn't know you had that little confident in me.' You joked. She rolled her eyes and pulled you in an embrace.
'She is my daughter, she is the only thing I have left.' Her voice faded a little in the wind when she crouched down to her daughter. Your sister lost her husband in the last raid King Harald made, that little girl was the only thing that remembered her of the man she loved so much. You felt compassion for her, in the way she looked to her daughter. 'You will behave with Y/n?' She asked her daughter. Ingrid looked up, a set of dark blue eyes looking from her mother towards you, you smiled supportive.
'Yes mother.' She answered with that tiny little voice of her.
'Give me a hug.' The girl stood up, throwing her arms around her mother. You sister tightened her embrace, almost crying on leaving her own blood behind. When she pulled back she stood up, stroking her fingers under her eyes before giving you a kiss.
'Try to relax a little, we see you tonight. I will take good care, I promise.'
'I know you will.' She smiled, stroking her daughters head. You took Ingrid in your arms, standing in the doorway and waving mother goodbye. The little girl didn't cry, luckily, it would make everything so much worse. Saying goodbye was never fun, you knew.

You kept outside with Ingrid on your arm until you were sure that her mother, your sister, was well on her way for trading. 'Want to go inside?' You asked Ingrid, she nodded and you turned around, stepping back in the house. You meet with Halfdan halfway, he pulled a shirt over his head, covering his muscled well looking body underneath fabrics. He caught you looking and despite you had a toddler on your arm, his body hovered against yours so you needed to step back, pressing against the wall. He placed his hand aside you against the wall, moving his lips on yours. You stroke his beard, getting in on the greed of his tongue.
'Wife.' He breathed softly out when he pulled back. You smiled, resting your hand on his chest when he pointed his attention to Ingrid. She was looking at him with her at most concentration, bringing a deep frown in her forehead that made you smile.
'You know Halfdan right?' You asked Ingrid with a wide smile. She looked back up to Halfdan before she hid her head shyly against your neck. You turned your eyes back up to him, he was looking like his normal stern self. 'You should smile a little more around children. If she goes home the end of the day saying Halfdan is angry it is all your fault.' You petted his chest.
'I don't need to impress anybody else but you,' he pecked your lips, you wanted to hold on to but because of Ingrid you just let it slip. 'and I'm not good with children.'
'There was a day you weren't good with weapons and you learned soo,' you didn't finish the sentence, giving him a promising look. He rolled his eyes, pushing away from the wall to get some water into his face. Ingrid turned her head, watching after him and you just couldn't resist a smile. Halfdan was feared on many levels, by everybody. Being the brother of a king was suited on his body and to be fair, half the village was shocked when the two of you got married. Because the only think they saw in him when he was looking at you was his possessive eager look while all you known on that moment ... was that he wasn't always that harsh like he looked. Being his wife wasn't always easy but sure as hell it made you powerful, it made you strong, it made you loved by the most ruthless man this kingdom knew.

You and Ingrid walked over the streets to the great hall after she got some proper breakfast after her teeth. Halfdan sat on the steps, carving wood while King Harald stood leaning against a pole. When he saw you he kicked his brother against the head, chuckling. 'You did a rather fast job.' He complimented his brother. Halfdan looked up to you and Ingrid, shaking his head on the words Harald just spoke. Harald walked down from the steps, crouching before little Ingrid. 'Is this a future shield maiden for in my armies?' He asked her. You covered Ingrid her ears, looking to King Harald.
'If my sister hears from this she will kill you.' You reacted with a soft smile. Harald chuckled, sitting down aside his brother. You looked to what Halfdan was carving out of the wood, it looked like ... you turned your head a little, a deer? He looked up from underneath his blond hair, dark eyes priming your body before they turned back to his work.
'What are you carving?' Ingrid asked before you could do. She was curious, squeezed eyes while looking to the wood underneath his skillful fingers. Halfdan looked up, stroking his hair away from his eyes before turning the carved wood in his hands so it had a little more visual. A deer. It was beautiful and Ingrid was totally consumed by it. 'Is it for me?' She asked.
'Maybe, if you behave.' He reacted. Seeing him interact with Ingrid melt your inside completely.
'I will.' She reacted shyly. The corner of his mouth kicked a little up, giving her the wooden toy he had carved.
'What do we say?' You asked when she was planning on running off.
'Thank you.' She hesitated, looking up to you. You bowed down, whispering something in her ear. For a moment she looked very stubborn but then she walked over to him, hugging him. Now you were taunting Halfdan, he petted her on her back, totally not knowing what to do with the situation while Harald was laughing with him. Ingrid pulled loose, running a little further to play.
'You are growing soft brother.' Harald took Halfdan with the shoulder, shaking him a little. 'I love to see you happy, you deserve it. I hope you are trying on making her pregnant brother, a fine wife like that you don't leave unhappy.' Harald winking, giving his brother a firm kick against the shoulder, laughing again.
'I'm not doing it to make her pregnant.' Halfdan reacted, giving you a promising look.
'The gods decide when they gift us with a child.' You answered with a suppressed smile. Harald walked down, laying his hand on your cheek.
'You will become a fine mother.' He praised you before walking off. You looked over your shoulder to Harald before looking at Ingrid who played with the self-made deer in the sand. When you looked back at Halfdan he was watching the girl. You smiled, knowing even Halfdan caved for that kind of cuteness.

The whole morning she played with that deer, running around, hardly eating anything. But that energy faded in her little body getting tired from all the excitement. 'Maybe a little nap?' You asked her over the table.
'Can he come sleep with me?' She asked pointing her little finger towards the deer.
'Off course he can.' You nodded smiling. She jumped from the chair, running around like her deer was some kind of a flying creature. 'Come here.' You said. She kept still, looking at you with those blue eyes full of mischief. 'Ingrid.' You warned her playful, knowing she wasn't planning on voluntary coming to bed. You started running after her, she giggled so loud you didn't noticed Halfdan walking in. Your laughed, catching her in between your arms, snuggling your nose in her neck so she only started to laugh louder. 'To bed.' You whispered.
'You stay?'
'Offcourse.' You smiled, carrying her to bed. To be honest, taking care of such an energetic child asked some energy yourself. You laid her down, following her example. Ingrid turned around, snuggling against you in a tight cuddle. You smiled, placing a kiss on her hair, enjoying the feeling this gave you, this innocent love. When you turned your head Halfdan was watching the both of you. 'How long you stood there already?' You asked him low voice.
'Longer than you liked.' He answered, pointing out that he saw your little hunting game around the table. He walked the room in, crouching aside the bed. 'I would join but have business to attend with my brother.' He announced. You looked away from Ingrid her steady breath, she was already off to her dreams.
'Go fulfill your duties. Be what the gods made you to be husband.' You whispered, not minding him to be so little around.
'Take good care of the little monster when I'm away.'
'Says the biggest monster walking around.' You smiled when he placed his lips on yours.
'Your monster.'
'I tamed him good.' You whispered. He chuckled, stroking a strand of hair out of your face.
'Be careful what you wish for.' He warned you. He stood back up, giving the both of you a last look, a look that said so much more than he possible could say in words. He was opening up to Ingrid, to the idea of children. Halfdan was a tough nut to crack but you did it, from the first time you met him until now.

The rest of the day you had so much fun with that girl that didn't want her to leave. But as soon as her mother appeared on the road Ingrid lost all interest in you. She ran over, screaming to her mother who caught her in her arms. Would it be the same for you someday? Seeing you son of daughter run towards you? Or to Halfdan when he returned from a raid or new adventure? The idea made you smile. You sister walked with her daughter in her arms towards you. 'And?' She asked curious.
'Look what Halfdan made me,' Ingrid pushed her body out of her mother's arms and grabbed the deer from the ground, showing it off towards her mother.
'Who made you this?' She asked a little confused. You titled your head, knowing what she was getting at.
'Halfdan.'
'You sure it was Halfdan? Because the Halfdan I know,' she felt silent, giving you a promising look.
'I like him.' Ingrid announced. The both of you looked down to Ingrid, a little stunned that she said it so openly after being shy and afraid from him almost two years. Ingrid wasn't much around you and Halfdan, so it made a little sense.
'I'm gonna tell him that.' You said to her. She threw you a shy smile before turning back to her mother.
'Come on, you look tired, I'm gonna wash you, you are gonna eat and straight to bed.' Your sister said while taking Ingrid in her arms. 'Say thank you.'
'Thank you Y/n.' The little girl said.
'You should bring her more often over.'
'Get children from your own and ask it then again.' Your sister winked while walking away. 'Thank you sister!' She yelled from on the street. You putted your hand up, waving to the both of them before getting back inside. You hardly ate anything, you pulled your nightdress on and fell on the bed, way too tired to think of something else. The one thing you waked up from was Halfdan being noisy like always. You turned on you back, half awake and still half asleep when you felt his body.
'You make too much noise.' You murmured.
'That is for you to wake up and kiss me goodnight.' You felt his body slowly getting down on yours and the sleep drifted a little away. You opened your eyes looking for his dark ones but he kissed you.
'Goodnight Halfdan.'
'Are you that tired?' He asked a little amused. You pushed him away, rolling over to your stomach, letting your head rest on his bare chest.
'Exhausted.' You admitted to his question. He started to untangle your hair, what made you even sleepier.
'You were like a bright candlelight today, drifting from the one happy moment to the other.' He noticed. You pushed your head up, looking for his eyes.
'You looked pretty consumed yourself Halfdan. Ingrid said she liked you.' You returned the words back to him. He strokes his hand over your back and your body arched on his movements in enjoyment. He turned his body on his side, taking you in an embrace so your nose almost touched his.
'Seeing you happy is my deepest heart desire. I can only imagine how you would smile if that child actually was yours.'
'What are you saying?' You asked with squeezed eyes.
'That maybe we should make a sacrifice for the gods so they fruit you with a child.' He said. You moved your head, placing your lips against his. He got as always eager, wanting to taste your skin, to barry himself inside you. Your hand stroke the bald side of his face, embracing his neck while his one hand pulled your nightdress up to your waist.
'What if,' you caught your bread, holding on to his head tenderly. 'I already am.' You followed, curious to his reaction. You felt his fingertips resting against your upper leg, stopping everything he was doing on that moment.
'You are with child?' He asked, eyes flashing over yours to be sure your words were the truth.
'Yes.' You smiled, biting your lips.
'And you didn't said a thing earlier today? How sure are you?'
'Pretty sure. You didn't noticed the changes?' You asked. He was a man, even when you were swollen and at the end of your pregnancy he wouldn't even notice.
'Except for the fact you still look gorgeous my queen, no, I'll admit.' He placed his lips tenderly on yours and you just faded in this love. 'Means I have to take really good care of this body and you for the coming months.' He gestured, his hand moving up in between your tights. You gasped, moaning on the soft stroke he placed there before his hand rested on your belly. 'Really good care.' He repeated, placing a kiss on your lips, keeping them there.
'You may be ruthless and unpredictable but,'
'for you I would give my life, I would move the world, just as I'm planning on doing for whatever life is growing in you.' He interrupted you.
'Don't grow to soft my love.' You whispered. He pulled his body back up, hovering over you. You embraced his neck, stroking his face.
'Between these walls soft is the only thing I want to be.'
'Lucky me.' You smiled against his lips. He kissed you, a long and deep kiss that hit you in the core of your heart.
'My everything.' He grabbed you in his power with this kind of sweetness. He made you ready for whatever your body wanted when he turned out to be so ruthless and fearful, but your heart melted with this kind of tender love.
'You will be a great father.'
'Let's see about that when it's time. Let me first make love to you like I did on our wedding night.' He whispered in your ear. You caved, stroking your fingers over his chest, wishing for that child to be healthy, good looking and just like his father.