epilogue

AGE TWENTY THREE

AGE TWENTY THREE

"i knew i'd find you here," namjoon's deep voice pierces through the fragile silence.

yoongi's bloodshot eyes perk up a bit, but he says nothing and solemnly stares at the grey tombstone in front of him. the one with the words, "jung hoseok, our hope and angel" engraved into the grey rock.

yoongi tenses up as namjoon sympathetically pats his shoulder. "it's been three years," the taller boy realizes as a sad smile grows on his face.

yoongi's bottom lip trembles and he nods, before putting his head down again.

"you come here every week?"

"every day," yoongi replies quickly, wiping his eyes.

namjoon breathes out softly as the fragile silence slowly fills the air again.

"i miss him." yoongi mumbles.

"i know you do." namjoon responds, his voice is remorseful and overflowing with sad sympathy. "i do too."

it's silent again. but different. a despairing, mournful silence that leaves the two to think. yoongi doesn't want to think. he wants desperately to stop thinking. his mind was never not swarming with thoughts of his dead lover, the thrill of when they were together, the gorgeous, enchanting memories they shared. but of course, the flat line of death. the dead heartbeat that couldn't get out of his head. hoseok is a ghost in his mind, lingering around in old photographs and flashbacks that made yoongi's heart ache.

he is still so heartsick. so very heartsick.

"he loves you," namjoon says, as he steps back, staring solemnly at the tombstone.

"he loved me," is the curt response.

"hoseok—" namjoon halts as yoongi flinches at the name, the boy's hands twitching and his head sorrowfully tilting down.

namjoon inhales slowly. "you were with him when it happened."

yoongi's breaths are short and sputtery, his mind was welcoming the flashbacks he tried so hard to forget, but every time he let go they came back strong and vibrant. the hospital scene. crying and screaming. the stupid flatline...

"yoongi.." namjoon calls gently, his breathing is so calm and steady, alluring almost.

"i can't—" yoongi chokes out. he wants so badly to smile, just once, for hoseok. but no matter how many picture-perfect memories there were, they always ended the same. the horrifying, hideous flatline. he detested that awful sound with all of his being.