stupid

AGE TEN

did yoongi want the best for namjoon?

well, yes.... if it wouldn't affect his own life in any way.

what yoongi didn't expect was this "new student" catching someone's eye. and by someone, he meant kim namjoon of course.

stupid, idiot namjoon.

yoongi thought namjoon was being dumb for several reasons.

number one. namjoon claiming it was "love at first sight."
number two. they were all ten years old.
number three. namjoon was just being plain-out stupid and lovestruck for a new kid that came ten seconds ago.

literally, the scene was like a stereotypical movie. stupid, cute new kid comes to stupid school. stupid boy likes them. stupid couple eventually gets paired together to do a stupid science project and accidentally share a stupid kiss.

sickening. yoongi thought. thank god they weren't at the science project stage yet. at the moment they were at the, "shy, romantic glances in the school hallways" stage. disgusting.

yoongi should've seen this coming. if he had really seen the weird behavior as a red flag he would have been able to stop it. somehow.

but no, and now namjoon's all screwed-up in the head and plain-old lovesick with some new kid yoongi didn't really have the patience for.

sigh.

— a week before —

new student? yoongi didn't care at all. this new kid would just be... well a kid he didn't pay any attention to, much like the majority of his class.

yoongi didn't care for the new kid. he was a shy pretty-boy named kim seokjin, or nicknamed "kim jin" by the other kids.

kim jin had baked bright pink homemade cupcakes on his first day and handed them out to all his new classmates, excluding yoongi who had scoffed about the artificial color of the pastries. "sorry," yoongi had muttered to himself as he turned away from the baker, "i'm not eating that nasty artificial fake-colored thing."

(to yoongi's luck, seokjin didn't hear the snarky comment. if he had, yoongi probably would have been yelled at.)

namjoon was late that day — he had broken his locker that morning — and hoseok was unfortunately absent, so yoongi was the only one to see kim jin that morning.

as his peers fawned over the cupcakes, yoongi stumbled into class with a frown. he angrily smacks a cake out of someone's hand before he sits next to namjoon, who was silently reading a novel.

"how come ya didn't get a cupcake?" namjoon asks as yoongi sits down.

"how come you didn't get one?" the other boy fires back.

"i broke my locker... you know that..." namjoon replies, eyes narrowed. he watches as another student passes by, bright pink pastry in hand. "...where are people getting these treats anyway?"

"some kid," yoongi mumbles.

"some kid?"

"yeah," the shorter boy says curtly, clearly uninterested in the conversation. he peers at the whiteboard in boredom and he barely notices a written assignment in the corner.

"hey, did you do that assignment?" yoongi questions.

"what assign..." namjoon squints at the board before exclaiming, "no! i didn't!"