hospital room

AGE TWELVE

a frightened yoongi slips under the thin sheets of the flimsy hospital bed, curling up into a tiny, fearful ball of hysteria. (well, he tries his best to curl up, but his one torn-up arm was hung up and dangled securely from the ceiling.) he shivers under the delicate, paper-thin covers, his frozen skin covered in spotty goosebumps of fear and coldness. he held onto himself, trying to collect any sort of warmth he could.

namjoon had broken yoongi's arm. accidentally. classic namjoon. a literal god of destruction. yoongi is in pain but he is truthfully more annoyed than hurt. first of all, namjoon needs to watch where he and his limbs are going. it's getting frustrating. second of all, there is no comfort at all in this hospital. the bed sheets remind yoongi of a used garbage bag. not comfortable.

i wish someone could give me a blanket... he complains in his mind. suddenly there is a click at the door, and shuffling into the room.

"yoonie yoonie yoonie!" a voice cries from the door.

this was followed by another voice, shouting warily "careful hoseok–!"

hoseok sprints over to yoongi's bed and gives him a giant heartfelt hug, careful to avoid his broken arm. as soon as hoseok's mother, the other voice, sees that the two are comfortable, she smiles and leaves to give them some space.

"i was worried!" hoseok exclaims, making a saddened expression while gently stroking yoongi's face with his hand.

"mmph," yoongi mutters, takes hoseok's hand and pulls him toward him.

hoseok's eyes grow wide when yoongi's ice-cold fingertips poke into his warm skin. "you're so cold!"

"you're so hot!" yoongi scoffs back.

hoseok snickers. "am i really?" he teases, smirking and nudging yoongi's shoulder.

"gosh, hobi you know what i mean!" yoongi whines, hitting his friend's arm.

hoseok chuckles again and sits utop yoongi's bed, before lifting the covers and climbing under the blankets with him. yoongi feels his friend's presence beside him and whimpers, reaching out for him. hoseok smiles. yoongi comfortably nuzzles into hoseok's chest, yawning as his eyes flutter shut.

"you're cuddly today," hoseok remarks softly, as he beams at his tired friend.

yoongi blinks sleepily and buries himself deeper in hoseok's chest. the taller boy chuckles and rests his head atop yoongi's, closing his eyes too.

after a traumatic day the two sleep for a few hours until it's time for hoseok to leave.

━━

beep. beep. beep

a continuous short noise repeats again and again, boisterous and thundering in yoongi's ears. how only a simple sound could carry on for so long and dispense him of his valuable sleep.

he tosses, turns, flips the pillows over, adjusts the blankets and does this over and over until his tired limbs ache in exhaustion and he finally abandons the idea.

the rest of the dingy hospital is eerily quiet, the faint sound of working machinery and the hasty footsteps of nurses tiptoeing around in the hallways. it was only the rambunctious beeping that painfully echoes through the chambers of the building and his mind.

yoongi groans, sleepy and drained of this time-consuming mishap.

he collapses onto his bed with a thump, before he lazily kicks off the comforter and curls up again, this time with his eyes wide open in deep thought.