different

AGE FIVE

as the school year progresses,
yoongi begins to tolerate hoseok more,
and befriends him ♡

min yoongi later stumbles into class, his head is down and he grumbles assortments of furious words under his breath. for he was angry his mother woke him up. very, very angry.

she had shaken him awake, yelling that the boy had slept in and forcefully pushed him out of the door, backpack in hand. he should've told his mom he was allowed to come to school late; hoseok came late all the time! and he never got in trouble. ever.

yoongi enters the classroom with narrowed, tired eyes and ignores the concerned and curious expressions of his classmates observing their upset peer. yoongi storms over to the teacher and breaks into a giant scowl as the woman pulls out a florescent red slip of paper.

"yoongi, you're late today! i'm sorry, you have to fill out this red paper okay?" ms. joohyun says gently, attempting to hand the sheet over.

yoongi drew an offended gasp, absolutely furious with the unpleasant news. he threw his little arms in the air angrily, protesting, "no! h-hobi comes to school late too! he doesn't get in trouble!"

"yoongi," ms. joohyun sighs, "hobi is different okay?"

"no-!" yoongi whines and fiercely shakes his head. "n-no he isn't!"

he turns to the class for help, but they only intently stare at him, their fiery gazes burning into his skin. he quickly felt his hard-earned confidence melt like wax. for this terrible humiliation was too much to bear.

"yoongi." his teacher firmly says, her tone serious and less warm this time. yoongi finally accepts the red paper with heasitence, as he covers his face with the long sleeves of his sweater. he really doesn't want the class to see the frustrated tears running down his cheeks. the red slip was embarrassing enough.

"oh...kay..." he whispers sullenly, gives up and retreats to his seat. he slumps down languidly in his chair, burying himself with his long sleeves and sniffling into the soft sweater. he looks through a small gap in the wool, and spots an awkward-seeming namjoon, but no hoseok.

internally, he scoffs at the empty chair.

hoseok would have defended me...

the following day, hoseok asks yoongi to play after school, but the small boy is in too much of a deep thought, so he simply declines.

he instead occupies the old bench in the play yard, his active mind busied with thoughts concerning yesterday and his teacher's strange use of words.

different? different..

without thought, he looks up at hoseok, who is aimlessly running around with namjoon and the other children, his loud laughter projecting through the fragile air as they spun around wildly. his thin hair was flowing—jumping almost— in the soft, summer wind. the hot sun beat down on his youthful face, shining blindingly against his brow.

yoongi nearly sighed in admiration.

sometimes yoongi wonders why hoseok took such a liking to him. while hoseok is a brilliant sunshine child, yoongi is fairly quiet and moody. hoseok speaks with the other children with such wonder and happiness, which is a big contrast to yoongi's revolting aura. it is hoseok's constant delight in the world that set him apart from everyone else. his eyes sparkled more and his smile was bigger and happier, brightening up anyone's day. on the contrary, there is yoongi, who smiled infrequently, and had a hard time keeping his eyes open.

they are quite the opposites.

is that what the teacher meant by different?

yoongi puts his head in his hands and sighed in frustration. too... many... thoughts.

his speculations are put to an abrupt halt as he suddenly spots hoseok staring at him, beaming. the boy gleefully calls him, singing his name merrily as if it was a song.

"yoonie yoonie!" hoseok sings melodically again, hastily dashing over with his classic, heart-shaped grin.

yoongi says nothing in return, only peering up with wide eyes. the other boy scowls sadly at his friend's quietness, quickly taking a seat beside him. he slings his arm around yoongi's shoulders, giving him a concerned expression. yoongi once again ignores him.

"are you mad at me?" hoseok asks timidly, pouting slightly and poking yoongi's puffy cheek gently.

yoongi frowns in reply, his bottom lip sticking out and his little eyebrows furrowed. "hobi how come you get to sleep in?" the question swimming in his mind was awaiting an answer, and he took the chance to ask his friend's opinion.

"what do you mean?" hoseok questions, tilting his head to the side as he begins to tenderly run his nimble fingers through yoongi's dark hair.

"you don't get in trouble when you're late!" yoongi whines.

hoseok's eyes grow wide and he stays silent for a few seconds, his mouth shut. yoongi lets out a little sigh and rests his head on his friend's shoulder.

"why does the teacher say you're different hobi? he wonders quietly, comfortably snuggling into hoseok's side. "i don't think you're different."

the boy only hums quietly in reply, and gives yoongi a small, boyish smile.

yoongi and hoseok are silent for a few seconds, listening to the steady breathing of their chests and the soft summer wind drifting through their tangled hair.

yoongi's curiousity in the conversation died away slowly, his attention no longer on that but instead the shimmery glow in hoseok's dark eyes. the golden glitter embedded in the dark brown of his pupils. they were so alluring he wanted to reach out and touch them—since yoongi was only a young boy who didn't know that poking someone's eye would injure them badly.

as weird as he is, hoseok is undoubtedly stunning to look at.

yoongi soon falls into a much-wanted sleep, his tired eyes drifting shut as his head lay comfortably in the crook of hoseok's shoulder. hoseok laughs delightedly at his sleepy friend, before he too grows quite weary and peacefully dozes off.

eventually yoongi completely forgets about hoseok being "different." portions of his thrilling childhood memories would dull and fade away soon anyway. but... for now, he was all youthful and young.

a/n
yoongi and hoseok are friends!! yay.
(poor namjoon tho he'll be third-wheeling possibly)