Promise to visit

I couldn't imagine a better way for this night to have gone.
---------------------------------------------------------

We danced the night away, never wanting the night to end, but eventually grew tired of dancing and retreated to a nearby balcony.

"It's a beautiful night tonight, wouldn't you think?" Berkut leaned against the railing, looking out at the landscape and stars before us.

"Why yes, it is beautiful." I stood at his side, watching the stars and catching sight of Rinea's manor in the distance.

I point to the manor, smiling. "That's my uncle's manor over there. I live there with him and my four cousins."

Berkut smiles as he notices the building in the distance. "My uncle holds your uncle's family in the highest regard. Their silk is the finest in Rigel. I should've realized when I saw your dress, but you don't really show a resemblance to them."

"You're right. My uncle took me in after my father passed in the line of duty. I feel like I was always part of their family." I left out the part about my mother, I didn't want to remember her disappearance right now.

We continued to look out from the balcony until we heard a group of footsteps nearing.

"There she is. (Y/n), don't scare us like that. We thought someone took you- oh, Lord Berkut, excuse us for I didn't realize you were with my niece." My uncle bowed to the young lord before giving me a worried look.

"It's quite alright. (Y/n) was accompanying me for the evening after our dance."

Every single one of my cousins' eyes widened when he said I danced with him, but my aunt's piercing glare prevented them from speaking about it until later. "I hope she hasn't caused any trouble for you, my lord."

Berkut waved his hand, possibly tired of their begging his forgiveness for no reason. "On the contrary, she was the highlight of my evening. I thank you for bringing her to the ball tonight, and I ask to come visit her soon, if you'll allow it."

My eyes widened. Berkut wants to see me again? What would a prince want to do with me? My family shared my shock as well.

"I don't see why not, my lord. You can visit her any time you please." My uncle smiled at me, giving me a proud look.

Berkut turned to me, a smile gracing me with its presence. "Until the next time we meet, milady. If you'll excuse me, I'm sure my uncle is searching for me." He excused himself, returning to the ballroom and leaving me alone with my family as we took our leave as well.
---------------------------------------------------------

As soon as my feet passed the threshold of the manor, Rinea and her sister started squealing with excitement and the boys patted my back.

"So you and the prince, huh?"

"Way to go (y/n)!"

"You danced with the prince?! You actually danced with the prince?!"

"If he hurts you, cousin, I'll bring him some pain."

"Now, now, children. Give (y/n) some room to breathe. I'm sure she's tired from keeping lord Berkut company all night." Uncle stepped behind me, resting his hands on my shoulders and giving them a gentle squeeze.

"I'm proud of you, (y/n). You may have strayed away from the ball, but you found company with Emperor Rudolph's nephew, and that's a stunning feat."

"Thank you, uncle."

My aunt ushered the triplets to their rooms while Rinea and I made our way to my room. I'm sure she wants to talk about Berkut.

After getting out of the ballgown and into my favorite nightgown, Rinea and I sat on my bed and discussed the night. It seems that Rinea caught a lot of eyes tonight, and was even mistakenly flirted with by one of her brothers.

"So, what happened with you and Lord Berkut? Did you approach him or what?"

"Well, he approached me in the hallway while I was exploring and looking at the paintings. One thing led to another and we ended up dancing and stargazing on the balcony." I smiled as I talked of Berkut.

Rinea giggled when I was done. "You like him, don't you?"

My face went from 1 to 100 in less than a second, becoming a bright red from embarrassment. "Wh-what?! I just met him, I can't possibly like him after just meeting him! Plus, he's a prince."

"It doesn't matter if he's a prince or not. You made an arrogant and prideful man smile. Berkut never smiles, ever." Rinea rose from her spot beside me and headed to the door. "Lord Berkut doesn't smile for just anyone, (y/n)."

--------------------------------------------------------

A couple days went by and the household was back to normal. Rinea halted her teasing, and the triplets had left to their respective careers.

I was reading one of my favorite books in the gardens when a shadow loomed over me, taking my attention from reading.

"That's a nice read, my lady. I've read that one multiple times and never tire of it." Berkut's smooth voice caught my attention, and I stood and faced him with a smile gracing my features.

"You came to visit!" I set the book on the bench beside me, returning my gaze to the young lord's.

"I told you I would. I also brought you a gift. I see we share a liking in purple, so I found this on my way here." He pulled a box with a blue ribbon on it out of his pocket, handing it to me. Opening the box, an amethyst necklace shone in the sunlight, reflecting my smile.

"It's beautiful, my lord. I love it."

"You may call me Berkut. There's no need for formalities." He smiled, taking the jewelry out of the box and securing it around my neck, the gemstone resting just below my collarbone.

Berkut took a step back, marveling the sight before him. "Stunning." He smiled, holding out his hand. "Care to walk with me, (y/n)?"

Taking his hand, we walked through the gardens, conversing about the birds and sometimes Berkut would talk about parts of his life.

"When I was young, I dedicated my time to riding horses, for one day I wished to become a knight in the Rigelian army if I was needed. My uncle gifted me a beautiful black stallion for my birthday a few years ago, and we have become close companions."

I listened attentively to Berkut's story, enjoying his company. I wonder if I could watch him ride his horse one day.

"Maybe I could bring you to the palace and you could ride horses with me. Tomorrow, perhaps?"

I was overjoyed with his proposal. It would be a change, but it would be nice to get out of the manor and spend some time with Berkut.

"I was going to ask if you'd like to stay with me in the palace anyway. Having you around would be a nice change."

My eyes widened. He was asking me to live with him? Have I affected him that much? I mean, yes, he has made me grow fond of the palace, but have I somehow flattered him without my knowing?

"I would love to."

Berkut squeezed my hand gently, his face showing his excitement. "That's great news. I shall notify your aunt and uncle immediately if you wish."

We made our way inside, Berkut's face returning to his prideful look as we found my uncle and discussed my relocation. My uncle was delighted to hear of my decision to stay with the lord, and supported my decision.

"You're growing up, (y/n). You've become a fine young woman and now you've found your place in the palace." He put his hands on my shoulders, looking to Berkut. "Take care of her. She doesn't have much family left."

"I'll take good care of her. I promise."