Winter Ball

"I haven't seen snow like this since I was a little girl! Even then, it wasn't this much."

"I'm glad you like it, my lady. Shall we return to prepare for this evening?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berkut and I stole ourselves away back into the palace to ready ourselves for the winter ball being held tonight. We had a couple hours before it started, so Berkut excused himself to get ready after seeing me to my room.

I managed to get myself into the dress Massena gave me, surprised that it was almost a perfect fit for me.  While I'm at it, I need to figure out what to do with this hair of mine. It hasn't had a proper styling in a while.

After getting the dress on, I called for a servant to help me with my hair. What I didn't expect was to see Massena at my door.

"If it's hair you require assistance with, my lady, then allow me. I may not look like it, but I used to do hair for the young mistress before her passing. She taught me a few things, and I believe one of the styles would look great with the dress I selected for you. You look marvelous in that dress."

(Apologies in advance, I don't understand the art of styling hair so reader-chans will have to help me out and imagine their lovely hairstyle. I've only curled my hair so that's all I'm going to do, really.)

As Massena styled my hair, putting curls and bringing out my natural ringlets ( if you have any), I searched through the jewelry drawers, choosing a lovely necklace and earrings to wear and carefully putting them on as to not disturb Massena's work.

"And now for the final touch." I was confused as I felt a weight being set on my head. Looking in the mirror I was conveniently sat in front of, my eyes widened in surprise and awe from what I saw. Massena had fixed my hair beautifully, and to top it off, a tiara was placed on my head; it was silver with a blue/purple stone in the center.

(heres two that I liked)

"Thank you so much, Massena

"Thank you so much, Massena. I love it." I smiled, refraining from ruining his magnificent work.

"It was my pleasure, my lady. Now let's get you down to the ball, shall we? I believe Lord Berkut has waited long enough." Massena laughed, gently taking my arm and escorting me down the hall to the spiral staircase of the ballroom.

"Now entering, Lady (y/n)." A servant called from the side as we entered. Most, if not all, chatter ceased as the residents of the room turned their attention to me. The music continued to play, keeping silence from entering.

I could pick out my uncle from the far end of the room, flanked by my brothers and Rinea. She smiled at me and pointed to the center of the room where I finally noticed Berkut standing alone watching our descent down the stairs. He started towards us as we neared the bottom; I took this time to watch him near.

Berkut's appearance was just slightly different; his armor was polished, his cape was freshly cleaned, and where his normal headpiece sat, a slightly bigger silver and black one replaced it. 

I had to say, I was impressed with how much he cleaned up compared to the last ball I had met him at, and he could say the same for myself.

Massena let me go as we met Berkut at the bottom of the stairs, like a father giving away his daughter, bidding me goodnight as he disappeared into the crowd of people.

Berkut smiled at me, taking my hand and bringing it up to his lips and gently kissing the back. "You look beautiful, my lady."

"I can say the same for you, Berkut." I struggled not to blush, and so far it was working. He hadn't let go of my hand and had not noticed my flustered expression.

"I have us a seat nearby with your family, but first, a dance is in order for the prince and his maiden of choice." I couldn't help but blush at his words, smiling to myself as he pulled me into the center of the room.

"It is a tradition for the prince and his partner to be the first to dance. I hope you don't mind." Berkut explained to ease my slight distress.

"Not at all, Berkut."

Soft and flowing music started to play, sending us off into a slow dance around the room. It felt like we were gliding across the floor. I couldn't focus on anything else; Berkut had my full attention at this very moment.

"Am I that appealing to have caught your full attention, my lady?"

My blush was hidden now; I have mastered my flustered self for the moment. 

"Why yes, you have my full attention, luring me in with your charm."

It was Berkut's turn to blush, pulling me closer to him as spun us around then returned to gliding across the floor. I thought I heard him murmur something under his breath while he was spinning me, but I brushed it off.  Berkut seemed relieved that I didn't question him on his action.

As the dance ended, Berkut twirled me one last time and brought me close to him once again; this time we stood still, letting the music's dying echo signal the end of our dance. Applause followed us as we made our exit out of the center of the circle of guests and to our reserved table with my family.

"That was amazing, (y/n)! I wish I could've danced as beautifully as you did." Rinea gave me a smile, and her brothers partook in conversation with Berkut after being convinced that just for tonight they could casually talk to him without formalities.

"It seems you calmed the prince's attitude towards lower classes than his own. Well done, my dear." My uncle gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder, then excused himself to fetch himself a drink.